[comp.windows.ms] OnTrack Diskmanager and Win 3.0

dag@tc.fluke.COM (David Gunderson) (08/14/90)

I'm posting this for a friend of mine who has no net access. He is
having trouble running windows 3.0 together with the OnTrack
disk manager (allows large partitions under DOS 3.3). He's tried
microsoft support without much help. I've looked through the old
messages on this group without finding reference to this problem.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Direct responses would be
appreciated. I will summerize to the net if I get enough responses.

Thanks
David Gunderson

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (08/15/90)

dag@tc.fluke.COM (David Gunderson) writes...

>I'm posting this for a friend of mine who has no net access. He is
>having trouble running windows 3.0 together with the OnTrack
>disk manager (allows large partitions under DOS 3.3). He's tried
>microsoft support without much help. I've looked through the old
>messages on this group without finding reference to this problem.
>Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Direct responses would be
>appreciated. I will summerize to the net if I get enough responses.
>
>Thanks
>David Gunderson

    Apparently the OnTrack Disk Manager/Windows problems is a recognized bug.
Run together they can nuke the hard disk.  For references see InfoWorld:
July 2, 1990, and other similar industry rags that came out at that time.

    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |                                             |
|  PSCHWART@vms3.macc.wisc.edu  |       Your message here...                  |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                 only 5$ per post            |
|  (608)255-5702                |                                             |

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (08/16/90)

Well, tell your friend to stop using Windows 3.0 as quickly as
possible. When Windows 3.0 first came out in late May, there was a
lot of people complaining about having hard disk thrashed by Windows 3.0.
Their setups were Disk Manager with large partition (esp. > 1024 cyln),
and Windows 3.0 with SMARTDRV.SYS (I think).

These are not my personal experience, but be warned !

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

alan@ferus.lonestar.org (Alan Caldera) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug14.153452.5774@tc.fluke.COM>, dag@tc.fluke.COM (David Gunderson) writes:
> I'm posting this for a friend of mine who has no net access. He is
> having trouble running windows 3.0 together with the OnTrack
> disk manager (allows large partitions under DOS 3.3). He's tried
> microsoft support without much help. I've looked through the old
> messages on this group without finding reference to this problem.
> Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Direct responses would be
> appreciated. I will summerize to the net if I get enough responses.
>
> Thanks
> David Gunderson

 I have heard several complaints to this effect, and I also believe this was
widely published in the trade rags. I s'pose the workaround is to use DOS 4.0
if having the ONE BIG partition is absolutely necessary.

--alan
alan@merch.TANDY.COM or
texsun!letni!rwsys!merch!ferus!alan

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (08/22/90)

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>Well, tell your friend to stop using Windows 3.0 as quickly as
>possible. When Windows 3.0 first came out in late May, there was a
>lot of people complaining about having hard disk thrashed by Windows 3.0.
>Their setups were Disk Manager with large partition (esp. > 1024 cyln),
>and Windows 3.0 with SMARTDRV.SYS (I think).

>These are not my personal experience, but be warned !

Well, they were MY personal experience!  I tried installing Win3 at least
8 or 10 times and each time my disk somehow got trashed.  I finally stopped
using SMARTDRV and... Voila!  I've been running happily ever since!

I haven't tried reinstalling the MACE disk cache utility, for fear of some
other interaction.  Has ANYONE who is running Disk Manager successfully
installed Windows 3 with a disk cache utility?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :