[comp.windows.ms] Anybody using Win3 with DOS 4.01?

psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Lam Yeoh) (08/20/90)

thinking of converting over to DOS 4.01 and making it all partition.

Does anybody have any experience with Win3 under DOS 4.01?  Should I
avoid switching over?  What kind of problems will I run into?

Thanks.

Stephen Yeoh                                    PSYEOH@UBVMSD.BITNET
State University of New York at Buffalo         psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

palm@admin.kth.se (Christer Palm) (08/21/90)

Go ahead no problems with my 286 system

/Christer

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (08/21/90)

In article <33172@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>thinking of converting over to DOS 4.01 and making it all partition.
>
>Does anybody have any experience with Win3 under DOS 4.01?  Should I
>avoid switching over?  What kind of problems will I run into?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Stephen Yeoh                                    PSYEOH@UBVMSD.BITNET
>State University of New York at Buffalo         psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

I am running Win3 under DOS 4.01 and have had no problems with DOS 4.01 or
with Win3.  I have found a few bugs in Word for Windows but these were not
due to DOS 4.01.  I am not currently using large partitions so I don't know
if they will cause problems or not.

-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

tea6219@evtprp0b.UUCP (Terry E. Acker) (08/21/90)

In article <33172@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>thinking of converting over to DOS 4.01 and making it all partition.
>
>Does anybody have any experience with Win3 under DOS 4.01?  Should I
>avoid switching over?  What kind of problems will I run into?

I am using 4.01 on a 386sx with a 100Mg IDE drive all in one partition.
Have had no problems using Windows 3.0.

--
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|Terry Acker                                                     |

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (08/22/90)

psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Lam Yeoh) writes:

>thinking of converting over to DOS 4.01 and making it all partition.

>Does anybody have any experience with Win3 under DOS 4.01?  Should I
>avoid switching over?  What kind of problems will I run into?

I'm using Windows 3.0 w/ DOS 4.01 on a PS/2 Model 70 with a 120mb hard drive.

No problems at all.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (08/22/90)

In article <33172@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>thinking of converting over to DOS 4.01 and making it all partition.
>
>Does anybody have any experience with Win3 under DOS 4.01?  Should I
>avoid switching over?  What kind of problems will I run into?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Stephen Yeoh                                    PSYEOH@UBVMSD.BITNET
>State University of New York at Buffalo         psyeoh@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

Well, Stephen, I've been running DOS 4.00 since july of last year without any
problems.  When I bought windows 3.0, it installed like a charm and I have not
had any problems with windows trashing my hard drive.

My suggestion is to wait on your upgrade for version 5.0 though, because I have
heard that it will solve the non-reentrancy problems in DOS as well as many
others.

Hope I have been of some help...

ciao
jeff
`
--
Jeff Watkins                       gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data