[comp.windows.ms] Memory requirements

tarquin@athena.mit.edu (Robert P Poole) (08/15/90)

I have heard conflicting reports about how much memory is needed for Windows
3.0.  I have a 286 machine with (currently) 640K, which I plan on upgrading to
2 meg+ eventually (I might stop off at 1.5 meg for a while).  I also have a 40
meg HD, a VGA card that is fully BIOS compatible with IBM, and a few other nice
gadgets which are useful (like a mouse, etc.)

In a preliminary review of Windows 3.0 that I read, it was indicated that
Windows could run in a "limited" mode, which only required 640K.  Then, when I
actually saw the boxed set, the label said "Requires at least 1 Meg RAM."
Finally, I saw an ad in CompuAdd's catalog that said Windows required 2 Meg.
Now, who's telling the whoppers here?

Since RAM is cheap these days (about $8 for a 1 Meg x 1 bit chip), it hardly
matters -- I'll get that memory one way or another, but I don't see the point
in getting more than is optimal.

Thanks.
--
Robert P. Poole                       tarquin@athena.mit.edu
46 Massachusetts Avenue               MIT Course VIII

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug15.044352.25786@athena.mit.edu> tarquin@athena.mit.edu (Robert P Poole) writes:
>In a preliminary review of Windows 3.0 that I read, it was indicated that
>Windows could run in a "limited" mode, which only required 640K.  Then, when I
>actually saw the boxed set, the label said "Requires at least 1 Meg RAM."
>Finally, I saw an ad in CompuAdd's catalog that said Windows required 2 Meg.
>Now, who's telling the whoppers here?

Windows can run on a 640K machine, though it will run in real mode since you
won't be able to load himem.sys on a 640K machine.  If you want to run in
Standard mode, you need at least 1Meg of memory.  The more memory you get
for your PC, the more you'll have in Windows when you run in Standard mode.

There is another mode for 386's that might require 2Meg to work correctly.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us