[comp.windows.ms] Fonts, Word for Windows

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (08/20/90)

ok, i got some fonts from cica (pretty nice fonts, ftp), installed them
under windows (easier to copy them directly to the windows system directory
rather than a temp directory), ran write and was able to use the new fonts.

however, i was unable to access the fonts from word, the only help word gave
seems to be talking about using the control panel (which was already done or
the fonts wouldn't have come up under write)

so, the question is: how can the new fonts be accessed from word? does word
have to be reinstalled?

any advice would be appreciated...

thanks,

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (08/21/90)

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:

>ok, i got some fonts from cica (pretty nice fonts, ftp), installed them
>under windows (easier to copy them directly to the windows system directory
>rather than a temp directory), ran write and was able to use the new fonts.

>however, i was unable to access the fonts from word, the only help word gave
>seems to be talking about using the control panel (which was already done or
>the fonts wouldn't have come up under write)

I seem to remember having similar problems using internal fonts for my
LJ3.  I think I had to run the WfW Printer Setup in addition to the
Control Panel.  I'm not sure about this - I just had a one week
brain-wipe, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

BTW, there is a new version of WfW available now for a $10 upgrade.  I'm
hoping that it might fix some of these little incompatibilities.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (08/22/90)

In article <8L*%-_#@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:
>ok, i got some fonts from cica (pretty nice fonts, ftp), installed them
[.....]

>--
>respectfully yours,
>                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff
>                                                dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu

Where did you get these fonts?  Which fonts?  Are they standard Windows Fonts?
I checked mims-iris.waterloo.edu, someone had mentioned fonts there, but
unfortunately, there are no windows fonts that I could see...

I would be very happy to know where I can get some decent screen fonts, ie
Palatino, Old English, Cyrillic, etc.

ciao & thanks
jeff

--
Jeff Watkins                       gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (08/22/90)

In article <marshall.651181387@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:
>

>>however, i was unable to access the fonts from word, the only help word gave
>>seems to be talking about using the control panel (which was already done or
>>the fonts wouldn't have come up under write)

If, indeed the fonts are properly registered in Windows, you should be able to
get Word For Windows to know about them by simply choosing printer setup in
Word for Windows AND changing your current printer. If you change printers and
then change back, you will force WfW to rebuild its font table. I don't have
anything to do with Word for Windows other than I am a devoted user who ran
into this problem.  If you continue to have problems with your fonts, give me
a call and I'll try to talk you through it.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                 arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (08/23/90)

In article <56818@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) writes:
>If, indeed the fonts are properly registered in Windows, you should be able to
>get Word For Windows to know about them by simply choosing printer setup in
>Word for Windows AND changing your current printer. If you change printers and
>then change back, you will force WfW to rebuild its font table.

You don't even need to do that much; just select File printeR setup and then
hit OK.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (08/23/90)

i'd like to thank the many people who offered help & advice reguading this
problem.  it seemed that all i had to do to get access to the new fonts in
Word for Windows ( after installing the fonts from control panel ) was to
re-select my printer in the WFW printer setup box so WFW could rebuild the
(its) printer file with the new fonts.

thanks for all the assistance