[comp.windows.ms] 256 colors with normal Paradise VGA

etxsral@tnetxa.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson, ERICSSON TELECOM, SWEDEN) (08/20/90)

Is it possible to get 256 colors in Windows 3.0 with a normal Paradise
VGA card ?

Using the 256 color driver for Paradise Pro gives me several pictures.

If I use CSHOW with the included Paradise setup is it possible to display
gif pictures with 640x400x256 or 640x480x256. Does this indicate that I can
use these resolutions ?

--

Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Sweden

INTERNET: etxsral@tnetxa.ericsson.se
FIDONET : Lars Nilsson at 2:201/108.7

Ericsson Corporate Network: MEMO:     ERI.ETX.ETXSRAL,
                            VAX-MAIL: TNETXA::ETXSRAL
                            IBM:      ETXSRAL at LMEL
                                      ETXSRAL at LMES

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (08/21/90)

In article <17313@tnetxa.ericsson.se>, etxsral@tnetxa.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson, ERICSSON TELECOM, SWEDEN) writes:
> Is it possible to get 256 colors in Windows 3.0 with a normal Paradise
> VGA card ?
>
> Using the 256 color driver for Paradise Pro gives me several pictures.
>
> If I use CSHOW with the included Paradise setup is it possible to display
> gif pictures with 640x400x256 or 640x480x256. Does this indicate that I can
> use these resolutions ?

Sure, the paradise drivers support these modes. They can be gotten from
the Western Digital BBS (415) 968-1834 or cica.cica.indiana.edu in pub/pc/win3.

						Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (08/22/90)

In article <2082@peyote.cactus.org>, woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) writes...
>In article <17313@tnetxa.ericsson.se>, etxsral@tnetxa.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson, ERICSSON TELECOM, SWEDEN) writes:
>> Is it possible to get 256 colors in Windows 3.0 with a normal Paradise
>> VGA card ?
>>
>> Using the 256 color driver for Paradise Pro gives me several pictures.
>>
>> If I use CSHOW with the included Paradise setup is it possible to display
>> gif pictures with 640x400x256 or 640x480x256. Does this indicate that I can
>> use these resolutions ?
>
>Sure, the paradise drivers support these modes. They can be gotten from
>the Western Digital BBS (415) 968-1834 or cica.cica.indiana.edu in pub/pc/win3.

The Paradise driver does support the modes.  However, the Paradise Pro
card supports only (according to the manual) 640x400x256,
640x480x16 and 800x600x16.  However, CSHOW displays GIF pictures with
640x480x256!  This is what I do not understand.

I got the driver from the Western Digital BBS and first tried it in
800x600x16.  It worked, though the pictures are too small for my liking.
Then I tried 640x480x256 (CSHOW does display it, doesn't it?).  It hung
so bad that I had to re-install Windows.

Any ideas?

---------
Leo Simon			simon@pwrvax.enet.dec.com

Who is not liberal when young, does not have a heart.
Who is not conservative when old, does not have a brain.

						-- W. Churchill

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (08/23/90)

etxsral@tnetxa.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson, ERICSSON TELECOM, SWEDEN) writes:
>Is it possible to get 256 colors in Windows 3.0 with a normal Paradise
>VGA card ?
>Using the 256 color driver for Paradise Pro gives me several pictures.
>If I use CSHOW with the included Paradise setup is it possible to display
>gif pictures with 640x400x256 or 640x480x256. Does this indicate that I can
>use these resolutions ?

Look carefully at the pixels in the CSHOW 640x400x256 and 640x480x256 GIF
size displays.  CSHOW is really rescaling the picture to fit a standard VGA
256 color resolution (320x200x256?).  This is obvious when compared to
using VUIMG with the paradise driver (you can get real 640x400x256 on a
standard paradise, 640x480x256 if you have the 512Kb memory version.)

I believe someone in this newsgroup just stated that Paradise is working on
a 640x400x256 driver for Win3.0.  Until then, you have to have the 512Kb
version of paradise to have 256 colors in windows (640x480x256).

For now I'm happy to run 800x600x16.  I couldn't stand having to go back to
larger characters with less data on screen, though it would be nice to be able
to come up in 256 colors to play with some BMPs and paint programs.

Later,

Tim Forsyth
--
Tim Forsyth, tim@int13.hf.intel.com or forsytim@ccm.hf.intel.com
Intel Corp., Oregon MicroComputer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA