[comp.windows.ms] Request for Help

shaffer@sun.udel.edu (Bob Shaffer) (08/23/90)

We recently bought a 386SX machine (with a Chicony mother board
CH-386s-16d), BIOS Phonix Rev. 1.10 03, DOS 4.01, with 2 meg on RAM.  We
can run windows in real mode but cannot run windows in either standard
or enhanced mode.

We would appreciate any suggestions or information as to what may be the
problem or things to try to get around this problem.

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/24/90)

In article <13578@sun.udel.edu> shaffer@sun.udel.edu (Bob Shaffer) writes:
>We recently bought a 386SX machine (with a Chicony mother board
>CH-386s-16d), BIOS Phonix Rev. 1.10 03, DOS 4.01, with 2 meg on RAM.  We
>can run windows in real mode but cannot run windows in either standard
>or enhanced mode.

Make sure you have the right version of himem.sys installed.  When I was
installing Windows 3.0 a while back I tended to have problems with the install
program no overwriting my old himem.sys and would consequently not go into
protected mode.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us