[comp.windows.ms] Possible Word for Windows Problem

danf@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dante Fabrizio) (08/23/90)

Why does Word change the size of a drawing made with PaintBrush when I
paste it in a document? Once the drawing is in a document, you can
scale the picture but it never looks the same as it did in Paintbrush.

I have tried changing the clipboard to cut and paste bitmaps but it
didn't help. Is there a way to get the exact picture to be pasted in
Word? I thought this was a wysiwyg enviorment!

Dante Fabrizio
Commdore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive
West Chester, Pa. 19380
215 - 431 - 9100  EXT 9347

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (08/26/90)

In article <13967@cbmvax.commodore.com> danf@cbmvax.UUCP (Dante Fabrizio) writes:
>Why does Word change the size of a drawing made with PaintBrush when I
>paste it in a document? Once the drawing is in a document, you can
>scale the picture but it never looks the same as it did in Paintbrush.
>
>Commdore Business Machines
>1200 Wilson Drive
>West Chester, Pa. 19380
>215 - 431 - 9100  EXT 9347

Are you pasting color images or black & white images?  If this is happening
with b/w images then it is news.  If it is color images then you have a
version of WinWord that doesn't paste color images properly.  Here is a
brief synopsis of the problem:

Bitmaps can have physical dimension information associated with them.
Paintbrush inserts this physical information into bitmaps it puts on the
    clipboard
WinWord takes the bitmap off the clipboard and looks at the format
If b/w then it takes the original bitmap off the clipboard and keeps it -
    the dimension information is intact.
If color then it makes a b/w version and throws away the color version -
    the bug is WinWord forgets to copy the dimension information over.
WinWord uses the dimension information to scale the image on the screen.

Try pasting in a b/w image and see if it works.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.