[comp.windows.ms] Novell Drive Connect Feature

rpk@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Robert Krajewski) (08/24/90)

There's a cool feature of the Drive Connect command (from File
Manager) that I can't seem to reproduce from DOS, which is too bad.
That is, you can *really* map a drive to a subdirectory on a Novell
volume.  So even if map drive X to a subdirectory, I can't do this:

	X:
	CD ..

I consider this a feature; it allows you to hide the position of a
hierarchy of directories.  It's like letting SUBST work on network
drives.

However, there doesn't seem to be any Novell command line incantation
that produces the same result.  What exactly is or is not going on
here ?
Robert P. Krajewski
Internet: rpk@ai.mit.edu ; Lotus: robert_krajewski.lotus@crd.dnet.lotus.com

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (08/25/90)

In article <10298@life.ai.mit.edu> rpk@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Robert Krajewski) writes:
>There's a cool feature of the Drive Connect command (from File
>Manager) that I can't seem to reproduce from DOS, which is too bad.
>That is, you can *really* map a drive to a subdirectory on a Novell
>volume.  So even if map drive X to a subdirectory, I can't do this:
>
>	X:
>	CD ..
>
>I consider this a feature; it allows you to hide the position of a
>hierarchy of directories.  It's like letting SUBST work on network
>drives.
>
>However, there doesn't seem to be any Novell command line incantation
>that produces the same result.  What exactly is or is not going on
>here ?

use the command "map" with the option "root"

ie:

map root x:=server\xx:usr\mydir

This will set "mydir" as the "fake root" of the mapped disk x.  You will need
updates to ipx, net3, login and map to support this.  (Though if you are
already doing it from within windows, I presume you have the updates.)
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (08/27/90)

In article <10298@life.ai.mit.edu>, rpk@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Robert Krajewski) writes:
> There's a cool feature of the Drive Connect command (from File
> Manager) that I can't seem to reproduce from DOS, which is too bad.
> That is, you can *really* map a drive to a subdirectory on a Novell
> volume.  So even if map drive X to a subdirectory, I can't do this:
>
>       X:
>       CD ..
>
> I consider this a feature; it allows you to hide the position of a
> hierarchy of directories.  It's like letting SUBST work on network
> drives.
>
> However, there doesn't seem to be any Novell command line incantation
> that produces the same result.  What exactly is or is not going on
> here ?

This is now possible with the latest revision of the Novell utilities. Just use:

    map x:=whatever \

The backslash says that this will be a pseudo-root directory.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |