[comp.windows.ms] CNS Views/C++, Zortech C++, & Windows SDK

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (08/23/90)

I was mailed, what I think, is a common question by an individual
on the internet.  I could not respond to him through the e-mail
address he gave me, so I thought I would share his question and
my response.

He writes:

>Thanks for your posting to comp.windows.ms... I have a question
>for you about CNS Views/C++.
>
>I already have Windows/3, Zortech-C++ and the Zortech Debugger
>and am interested in writing windows/3 applications, but starting out
>cheaply. If I was to purchase CNS Views/C++, will I also need to have
>the Microsoft SDK to make windows applications?
>
>Is CNS Views/C++ just an Object Orientated interface/toolkit for
>management of windows?
>
>Or, is what Zortech has enough to get into windows.

>Thanks for any info you may have,
>
>                                          - Chris
>                                            crm@icad.com

My response:

Yes, you do need the Windows Software Development Kit.  The Windows SDK
contains all of the necessary libraries you need to create Windows
applications.  Zortech C++ supports these libraries and you can link
your Zortech C++ programs with them to create Windows applications.

As for CNS Views/C++.  I would describe it as a high-end toolkit
that provides a class-browser (that runs within Windows !!!).  Views
contains many classes that are helpful for creating Windows
applications quickly.  I would highly recommend it for professional
development.

Well, those are just general descriptions...I guess the safest thing
to say is...

	If you want to do C++ applications development for Windows
	you will need the following,

	- Microsoft Windows 3.0
	- Microsoft Windows SDK 3.0
	- Zortech C++ 2.1 (I am not sure about 2.0)

	Optional but highly recommended,

	- CNS Views/C++

Its very general, but I hope that is helpful.

Robert D. Thompson			Object Productivity
					P.O. Box 081118
					Rochester, MI 48308-1118
					(313) 650-8716
					rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu

db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) (08/27/90)

In article <2700@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) writes:
> I was mailed, what I think, is a common question by an individual
> on the internet.  I could not respond to him through the e-mail
> address he gave me, so I thought I would share his question and
> my response.
>
> Well, those are just general descriptions...I guess the safest thing
> to say is...
>
> 	If you want to do C++ applications development for Windows
> 	you will need the following,
>
> 	- Microsoft Windows 3.0
> 	- Microsoft Windows SDK 3.0
> 	- Zortech C++ 2.1 (I am not sure about 2.0)

ZTC++ 2.0 works fine with C++/Views -- I used it to post my review of C++/Views
to comp.windows.ms (a while back).   Unfortunately, to use it, you will have
to rebuild the library (a major hassle).   I would suggest (given the ~$40
upgrade for the compiler) that anyone with ZTC++ 2.0 upgrade to 2.1 -- it's
superb.

> 	Optional but highly recommended,

Yes!  I couldn't imagine doing windows development without it.

> 	- CNS Views/C++

Dan
| Dan Banay       							 |
| db@tc.fluke.COM   {microsoft,sun,uw-beaver}!fluke!db  +1 206 356 6285  |
| John Fluke Mfg. Co., MS 223B, PO Box 9090, Everett, WA 98206-9090 USA  |