[comp.windows.ms] databases for MS-Windows

pixel@du248-08.cc.iastate.edu (Rauhauser Neal Robert) (08/21/90)

    I have been developing applications in Actor and patiently
waiting for some PD database classes to show up. My patience
is nearly at an end. I need a light weight DBMS for Windows
that will allow me to produce a compiled version of the
application and distribute it without a runtime. I've been
looking at ToolBook from Asymetrix for some simple
work but it clearly can't handle anything in depth.
Compatibility with dBase III+ would be a big plus.
An object oriented language that does this would be
pure heaven - even under mush-dos.

	Thanks,

		Neal

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug21.044320.10802@fs-1.iastate.edu> pixel@iastate.edu (Rauhauser Neal Robert) writes:

>    I have been developing applications in Actor and patiently
>waiting for some PD database classes to show up. My patience
>is nearly at an end. I need a light weight DBMS for Windows
>that will allow me to produce a compiled version of the
>application and distribute it without a runtime. I've been

For those folks working in Actor and need a database capability may want
to try QE (Query + Edit).  No, this doesn't answer Neal's needs for a
database class, as QE is a database program (for $99) with DDE capability.

The idea is that Actor can use QE as a database engine (dbase, SQL server,
etc) via DDE.  This is of course all theory as I have not yet been able
to get Actor to use DDE in a useful manner.  If anyone has put together a
DDE class for Actor (initiate, execute, poke, terminate, etc) that is
more complete than the example provided by Whitewater, I would love to get
a copy. I suspect you need to be a *real* windows programmer (ie, have the
SDK and documentation) to figure out how to use DDE in actor.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/28/90)

In article <8334@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:
}The idea is that Actor can use QE as a database engine (dbase, SQL server,
}etc) via DDE.  This is of course all theory as I have not yet been able
}to get Actor to use DDE in a useful manner.  If anyone has put together a
}DDE class for Actor (initiate, execute, poke, terminate, etc) that is
}more complete than the example provided by Whitewater, I would love to get
}a copy. I suspect you need to be a *real* windows programmer (ie, have the
}SDK and documentation) to figure out how to use DDE in actor.

We've got classes for DDE.  They just aren't quite ready for release yet,
so we only offer them on an as requested basis with the understanding that
they aren't supported.  They work pretty well though.  One of our developers
was playing with Q&E the other day and it looks good.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us