[comp.windows.ms] Win3 to support mem management

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/21/90)

Today's PC Week reports that Microsoft has announced that support
will be provided for third party memory management programs such
as QEMM and 386Max to work with Windows 3.0. This came after the
companies had reverse engineered the Win3 interface and MS customers
complained about the incompatibility of their valued m.m. programs
with Win3. The support from MS will mean more reliable operation
across Win upgrades since MS will be responsible for providing
a driver interface.

Hurrah for Microsoft!

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Were the Americans of Japanese descent interned during WWII hostages?

moran@dri.com (Mike Moran) (08/22/90)

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>Today's PC Week reports that Microsoft has announced that support
>will be provided for third party memory management programs such
>as QEMM and 386Max to work with Windows 3.0. This came after the
>companies had reverse engineered the Win3 interface and MS customers
>complained about the incompatibility of their valued m.m. programs
>with Win3. The support from MS will mean more reliable operation
>across Win upgrades since MS will be responsible for providing
>a driver interface.

The complete source code and specifications for the HIMEM.SYS driver
have been floating around on BBSs lately.  I assume that Microsoft
released this stuff.

--
Michael A. Moran
Digital Research

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (08/22/90)

Yes, this is VERY GOOD news from Microsoft.  As reported in this weeks
InfoWorld (page 13), Quarterdeck was about to release their new QEMM 5.1,
claiming "the ablity to run Windows with device and program drivers loaded
above video memory", but "Microsoft said it couldn't be done."  Thus,
Quarterdeck informed Microsoft how they were going to accomplish this
impossible feat, and Microsoft asked Quarterdeck to delay shipment while
they developed a virtual device driver, XVD.  This XVD will be bundled
with QEMM and 386 Max to make Windows 3.0 compatible with the memory
managers.

Wonderful !!!!  Thank you, Microsoft.  This is DESPARATELY needed.

mishima@hpujsda.HP.COM (Ryuji Mishima) (08/24/90)

>Yes, this is VERY GOOD news from Microsoft.  As reported in this weeks
>InfoWorld (page 13), Quarterdeck was about to release their new QEMM 5.1,
>claiming "the ablity to run Windows with device and program drivers loaded
>above video memory", but "Microsoft said it couldn't be done."  Thus,
>Quarterdeck informed Microsoft how they were going to accomplish this
>impossible feat, and Microsoft asked Quarterdeck to delay shipment while
>they developed a virtual device driver, XVD.  This XVD will be bundled
>with QEMM and 386 Max to make Windows 3.0 compatible with the memory
>managers.

I don't read the article and not sure what it means.
The new QEMM driver with XVD will allow to run in 386 enhanced
mode after DOS device drivers are loaded by loadhi?

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ryuji MISHIMA
mishima@hpujisa

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (08/26/90)

# / hplsla:comp.windows.ms / mishima@hpujsda.HP.COM (Ryuji Mishima) / 11:03 pm  Aug 23, 1990 /
#
# I don't read the article and not sure what it means.
# The new QEMM driver with XVD will allow to run in 386 enhanced
# mode after DOS device drivers are loaded by loadhi?
#
# Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
#

Exactly.  This means that users will be able to use QEMM or 386 Max to
load Device Drivers and TSR's above 640K and still run MSWindows3 in
Enhanced mode, thus freeing up more memory for running non-MSWindows
applications under MSWindows.  This is ESPECIALLY important for network
drivers and TSR's, which take considerable memory.

laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) (08/28/90)

From article <3130033@hplsla.HP.COM>, by davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed):
> # I don't read the article and not sure what it means.
> # The new QEMM driver with XVD will allow to run in 386 enhanced
> # mode after DOS device drivers are loaded by loadhi?
> #
> Exactly.  This means that users will be able to use QEMM or 386 Max to
> load Device Drivers and TSR's above 640K and still run MSWindows3 in
> Enhanced mode, thus freeing up more memory for running non-MSWindows
> applications under MSWindows.  This is ESPECIALLY important for network
 drivers and TSR's, which take considerable memory.

Received my QEMM 5.1 today.  It does support 386 enhanced mode.  You
have to include "RAM" on the line that loads QEMM in the CONFIG.SYS
file.  Otherwise, Windows gets confused and crashes.

Tom Laughner
DOS Consultant/Analyst
University of Notre Dame
(219) 239-8270
TLAUGHNE@IRISHVMA

sam@hpspdra.HP.COM (Sam Espartero) (08/28/90)

>/ hpspdra:comp.windows.ms / davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) / 10:07 am  Aug 25, 1990 /
># / hplsla:comp.windows.ms / mishima@hpujsda.HP.COM (Ryuji Mishima) / 11:03 pm  Aug 23, 1990 /
>#
># I don't read the article and not sure what it means.
># The new QEMM driver with XVD will allow to run in 386 enhanced
># mode after DOS device drivers are loaded by loadhi?
>#
># Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

	Which version of QEMM, 5.0?

>Exactly.  This means that users will be able to use QEMM or 386 Max to
>load Device Drivers and TSR's above 640K and still run MSWindows3 in
>Enhanced mode, thus freeing up more memory for running non-MSWindows
>applications under MSWindows.  This is ESPECIALLY important for network
>drivers and TSR's, which take considerable memory.

	MOVE'EM can do the same thing right now for 386 machines. You
can have your network device drivers in config.sys loaded in HiDOS, the
redirector in HiDOS, and other, stuff and Windows 3.0 runs in Enhanced
Mode. We tried both MOVE'EM 1.02 and 1.04 and they just worked great.
This has saved us from 80-90K of conventional RAM before firing up
Windows 3.0.
----------
- Sam Espartero -
Hewlett-Packard, SPD
1501 Page Mill Road, Bldg. 5U
Palo Alto, CA. 94304

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (08/29/90)

In article <14160005@hpspdra.HP.COM> sam@hpspdra.HP.COM (Sam Espartero) writes:

>	MOVE'EM can do the same thing right now for 386 machines. You
>can have your network device drivers in config.sys loaded in HiDOS, the
>redirector in HiDOS, and other, stuff and Windows 3.0 runs in Enhanced
>Mode. We tried both MOVE'EM 1.02 and 1.04 and they just worked great.
>This has saved us from 80-90K of conventional RAM before firing up
>Windows 3.0.

I read that this was true for both move'em and qram.  I bought
qram (arbitrary choice) and it didn't work as well as I hoped:

1. QRAM would not recognize microsofts emm386.sys (works with himem.sys) as
an expanded memory manager (thou emm386.sys appeared to supply expanded
memory to a few applications I tried).

2. I installed an old intel above board with 2 mb expanded, and qram would
happily access it using the intel emm.sys.  Unfortunately, win3.0 would
only come up in standard mode (not bad, but not the best use of a 386 with
8 Mb memory).

I am cautious of what reallly works:  did your 386s have C&T chipsets?  Did
you use MS emm386.sys to get at high memory?  How about posting or mailing
your working config.sys?

Since all I want is high memory access (I live in windows), then a utility
like move'em is all I need.  I'll go plunk down another $50(?) for
move'em but only if it'll work with emm386.sys/himem.sys and not because it
makes use of unique hardware (e.g., C&T).

Thanks

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force