[comp.windows.ms] Problems with changing drives when in File Manager

u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) (08/25/90)

   It seems that whenever I try to go to A: and there's no disk there,
it would indicate No Disk (or something like that) and ask me to either
RETRY or CANCEL, and upon doing either one, my PC locks up.  Is this
common for everyone else or is it just something wrong with my system?

-Mike
----------
Michael Wong (u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu)
University of Utah

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug24.203938.28596@hellgate.utah.edu>, u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) writes:

>    It seems that whenever I try to go to A: and there's no disk there,
> it would indicate No Disk (or something like that) and ask me to either
> RETRY or CANCEL, and upon doing either one, my PC locks up.  Is this
> common for everyone else or is it just something wrong with my system?

I have observed the same problem.

I have found no way to recover except to reboot.

I should mention that I'm running in 386 enhanced mode on a 16mhz
386sx w/ 4MB with a 80 MB st296N (st02 controller) and 1.2MB drive A:.

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug27.063630.9487@agate.berkeley.edu> ohst-ag@garnet.berkeley.edu (Timothy Moy) writes:
>In article <1990Aug24.203938.28596@hellgate.utah.edu> u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) writes:
>>
>>   It seems that whenever I try to go to A: and there's no disk there,
>>it would indicate No Disk (or something like that) and ask me to either
>>RETRY or CANCEL, and upon doing either one, my PC locks up.  Is this
>>common for everyone else or is it just something wrong with my system?

>We've seen this before.  Were you, perchance, running ScreenPeace while
>this happened?  If so, remove it, and your problem will go away.  This
>happened to me, as well as two others I've spoken with personally, and,
>sad to say, ScreenPeace was the culprit.  Too bad - otherwise, I think
>it's a great program.

   Having un-installed Screen Peace, my File Manager finally works without
any problems!  Now, would anybody know what a good screen saver would be for
Win 3.0 that's just as good as Screen Peace or better or if an improved
version of Screen Peace is out???

-Mike
 (u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu)
----------
Michael Wong (u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu)
University of Utah

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) (08/28/90)

One of our software testers (working with a Windows 3.0 app) had this summary
of the problems Screen Peace 1.1 can cause.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Problem with Screen Peace

If SAVER.EXE is running, bad things happen in file manager when one clicks on a
floppy drive with no disk in it.  Clicking on "Cancel" trashes windows in random
 bizarre ways.

Among the modes observed Are:

1) A hard reboot

2) System lockup

3) Dumped back into DOS

4) Setup corrupted

5) Printer comes on dumping screen images.

6) Notepad is placed in a mode where it appends binary stuff to the file
        being edited

Hope this keeps someone from trashing their Windows.

						Mark

	Mark Pfeifer				pfeifer@hpavla.avo.hp.com
	Hewlett-Packard Avondale Division
	Avondale, PA				#include <disclaimer.h>
	______________________________________	#define OPINIONS mine

________
					      _________________________

laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) (08/28/90)

From article <36806@ut-emx.UUCP>, by allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred):
>>    It seems that whenever I try to go to A: and there's no disk there,
>> it would indicate No Disk (or something like that) and ask me to either
>> RETRY or CANCEL, and upon doing either one, my PC locks up.  Is this
>> common for everyone else or is it just something wrong with my system?

Isn't this DOS?  At the DOS prompt when you go to drive a, it hangs if
you don't have a disk in the drive....

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug27.094854.29985@hellgate.utah.edu> u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) writes:

> Having un-installed Screen Peace, my File Manager finally works
> without any problems! Now, would anybody know what a good screen
> saver would be for Win 3.0 that's just as good as Screen Peace or
> better or if an improved version of Screen Peace is out?
>
>Michael Wong (u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu)

Take a look at hDC products. I think that FirstApps will give you
everything that you need and then some.

Clancy Malloy

#include<std.disclaimer>
#include<std.enduser>

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (08/29/90)

Screen Peace ver 1.2 fixes a bug in earlier releases:
In prior versions, if you tried to read from a floppy drive,
  and there was no disk in it, the machine would hang whether you
  chose "Retry" or "Cancel".  This was caused by
  "a misplaced floating point call" in the author's words.

The new version doesn't have these problems, and I have been using it
  extensively the last month or so.  I highly recommend it.  Also,
  the problems with finding a directory seem to have gone away.

For those concerned with modem downloads, I have had the screen saver
  running during a 2400 baud download and had no drop in performance.
  I you are concerned, you can turn off all the graphical screen saver
  displays and just have it make the screen black.  This should put little
  drag on your system.

You can define corners of your screen, and if the cursor is in one of
  the regions, the program will either blank the screen right away, or
  never black the screen (depending on the corner).  The corner regions
  have been enlarged to 5x5 pixel areas in version 1.2 (yeah!).

I think screen peace is a great screen saver, and don't like to see
  bad press about bugs without it being mentioned that they have been
  fixed in a newer version.

Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@rascals.stanford.edu