[comp.windows.ms] QUERY: Reviews of telecommunication packages for Win3.0

keating@casemo.UUCP (John Keating ) (08/18/90)

Greetings unto the net!

	I've been trying to find a communications package that fit my desires/
needs...  I've looked at WinQVT and Unicom so far, but have not been terribly
impressed by them...  (They are good packages, but are missing some features I
find handy.

	So, basically, I'm asking those of you out there who have telecom
packages to send me a quick review...  My list of needed/wanted features are:
	o Wide range of terminal emulations, esp. VT-100, VT-52, and ASCII.
	o Wide range of transfer protocols, esp. Z-modem, and CIS QUICK-B.
	o Dialing directory that includes individual paramaters (i.e. bps rate,
		name, last date called, etc...) for each phone number.
	o A script language.
	o The ability to add protocols and emulations.
	o Hmmm...  The normal, everyday stuff...

	Freeware preferred, but I'd be willing to look at other packages, too.
(As evidenced by my looking at Unicom and WQVT.)

	Thanks in advance.

		John Keating, III

PS:  Thinking about it, most of the features that I want are in Telix...  Too
	bad I don't have a '386... :^(

--
/* John W. Keating, III           *
/* ...!uunet!mimsy!casemo!keating *

popeye@doc.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) (08/18/90)

keating@casemo.UUCP (John Keating ) writes:

>	I've been trying to find a communications package that fit my desires/
>needs...  I've looked at WinQVT and Unicom so far, but have not been terribly
>impressed by them...  (They are good packages, but are missing some features I
>find handy.

Yea. I know the feeling. I used WinQVT for a while but was really unimpressed.
The transfer rates were poor, it was buggy and it handled background transfers
badly (kept timing out, errors etc..).

The short of it is I looked at the latest version of Unicom and becoming really
pissed at the nag messages and the crippled version I took the risk and
registered.... and I really like it.

>	So, basically, I'm asking those of you out there who have telecom
>packages to send me a quick review...  My list of needed/wanted features are:
>	o Wide range of terminal emulations, esp. VT-100, VT-52, and ASCII.
>	o Wide range of transfer protocols, esp. Z-modem, and CIS QUICK-B.
>	o Dialing directory that includes individual paramaters (i.e. bps rate,
>		name, last date called, etc...) for each phone number.
>	o A script language.
>	o The ability to add protocols and emulations.
>	o Hmmm...  The normal, everyday stuff...

Unicom 2.0 has all these features except the vt100, But vt52 has been good
enough for me. Unicom also has a nifty scheduler that can run scripts at any
pre-set time. The script language is pretty simple, but you can get just about
anything ordinary done with it. I *think* it has the ability to add protocals,
even though there is already more than I'd ever need (about 10 or so).

My advice to you is unless you want to pay $110+ for cosstalk for windows, try
registering Unicom for $45.
--
 731 Moro		popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu	    "Run away! Run away!"
 Manhattan, KS 66502	popeye@ksuvm.ksu.edu		Monty Python

fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (08/18/90)

In article <366@casemo.UUCP>, keating@casemo.UUCP (John Keating ) writes:

> 	I've been trying to find a communications package that fit my desires/
> needs...  I've looked at WinQVT and Unicom so far, but have not been terribly
> impressed by them...  (They are good packages, but are missing some features I
> find handy.
>
> 	So, basically, I'm asking those of you out there who have telecom
> packages to send me a quick review...  My list of needed/wanted features are:
> 	o Wide range of terminal emulations, esp. VT-100, VT-52, and ASCII.

 Xtalk supports VT102, VT52, IBM PC, IBM 3101 and VIDTEX terminal emulations.

> 	o Wide range of transfer protocols, esp. Z-modem, and CIS QUICK-B.

Xtalk supports CROSSTALK, DART, Xmodem (/CR & /1K), Ymodem, Kermit,CIS B and
Zmodem protocols.

> 	o Dialing directory that includes individual paramaters (i.e. bps rate,
> 		name, last date called, etc...) for each phone number.

Any and all parameters can be saved with each phone number. The options are too
numerous to list here.

> 	o A script language.

The best scripting language I know of.

> 	o The ability to add protocols and emulations.

Posssibly in future upgrades. No facility for adding DLL's.

Also includes capture to file or printer, copy and paste (local
and host), font and color settings, user definable function keys
(on screen), support for almost any modem you can name.

In summary: I use Xtalk and have found in well worth the $125 I
spent. Hope this helps.

- Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

russell@spdcc.COM (Tim Russell) (08/18/90)

From article <26CC8B8F.1885@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, by popeye@doc.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck):
>The short of it is I looked at the latest version of Unicom and becoming really
>pissed at the nag messages and the crippled version I took the risk and
>registered.... and I really like it.

    I saw on Relaynet today that the author of Unicom has re-submitted a
newer version, 2.0a, that has all the nagware messages removed.  You
should, of course, still register it if you use it, but now at least
you can get a decent feel for it BEFORE you send in the bucks.

    On this subject, I haven't even SEEN Unicom yet.  Does anyone know
somewhere on the net that I can get a copy of 2.0a, the non-nagware
version?  I'd really appreciate any help.

--
  Tim Russell        Person at large        russell@ursa-major.spdcc.com
            "...my moral standing is lying down.." - NIN

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (08/19/90)

(I have laptops, amigas, 386's, hayes modems, acccounts on bix, genie,
ci$, pcpursuit, and have used about 12-15 comm programs over the years).

Unless you need to connect only to one site (mainframe?), and rarely
explore telecommunication services of varying natures...

DON'T BUY CROSSTALK FOR WINDOWS!

This program is just about the worst piece of comm soft I have ever
run across.  To my mind, the overall design/setup  is pitiful.
You can't even give AT commands (while not NOT connected) without
going thru a bunch of menu gyrations to get in and out of local mode.

sheesh!

Unless XTalk has some feature you can't find elsewhere, don't spend
your money on it.

                            - MJB -

P.S. I also have a PLINK account... sorry Harv   ;->

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (08/23/90)

In article <32975@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>(I have laptops, amigas, 386's, hayes modems, acccounts on bix, genie,
>ci$, pcpursuit, and have used about 12-15 comm programs over the years).
>
>Unless you need to connect only to one site (mainframe?), and rarely
>explore telecommunication services of varying natures...
>
>DON'T BUY CROSSTALK FOR WINDOWS!

Crosstalk for windows works fine for me.  I've used MS Terminal, WinQvt, but
refused to try the crippleware Unicom.

Recommend you always try the shareware products first.  In this way you get to
know the products and don't have to rely on extreme opinions like the above.

I've had problems with crosstalks support for the kermit protocol and once had
to quickly terminate crosstalk and bring up MS Terminal to handle a call back
protocol (couldn't easily use modem direct AT command).

Crosstalk is not perfect, but it is not bad either - I've not seen a better
windows comm program, but I'm still looking and suspect a shareware product
(WinQvt?) will eventually rule the roost.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

daven@svc.portal.com (08/27/90)

In article <8320@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:
>Recommend you always try the shareware products first.  In this way you get to
>know the products and don't have to rely on extreme opinions like the above.

Good advice, I offer the same advice to newcomers that don't know what they
want from a telecomm package. Now, just to toss a twist into the discussion,
we're (Software Ventures) shipping MicroPhone II for Windows. I haven't
seen any discussion of it here, so I thought it's time to stimulate some.
For better or worse.  ;-)

Dave Newman

Dave Newman - Sofware Ventures        | daven@svc.portal.com | AppleLink: D0025
Berkeley, CA  (415) 644-3232          | AOL: MicroPhone      | CIS: 76004,2161

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (08/28/90)

Okay, I'll bite. Does MicroPhone II:

allow the sending of modem (AT) commands (while not connected) to the
   to the modem without going through a bunch of menu gyrations to
   get in and out of local mode?

reserve ANY function keys? (XTalk reserves F6 (among others) for
   logging off... just great reserve a F-key that I use ONCE a session
   while making me hold down the ctrl-key (to use f-keys) for the
   WHOLE session!)

allow multiple phonebooks?
do phonebook entries have columns for name, phone number, comm para-
   meters, key file, script file?
can the user select multiple names for auto-rotation dialing?
have separate named key files, script files? Can these be changed
   while connected?

have a script language?

have a chat mode?

have a single parameter screen that shows all the various comm para-
   meters?  Can be called and chanegd at any time, with a few clicks
   of the mouse?

have a capture mode?

That should do for a start.  Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot... what does it
cost?  Are you shipping?

                                 - MJB -

                         USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

daven@svc.portal.com (08/29/90)

In article <33318@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>Okay, I'll bite. Does MicroPhone II:
>
>allow the sending of modem (AT) commands (while not connected) to the
>   to the modem without going through a bunch of menu gyrations to
>   get in and out of local mode?

You can do this a variety of ways. Obviously typing the commands by hand
will work. *grin*  You can create scripts to do this for you. We also
support "modem drivers" - scripts that are run when you choose the menu
items to Dial, Hangup, Wait for Call.

>reserve ANY function keys? (XTalk reserves F6 (among others) for
>   logging off... just great reserve a F-key that I use ONCE a session
>   while making me hold down the ctrl-key (to use f-keys) for the
>   WHOLE session!)

Why would I want anyone to tell me how to use my function keys? We let you
assign whatever scripts you want to the function keys. If you want F6 to
log you off, then so be it!  I prefer to use the button bar myself. You
can assign scripts to onscreen buttons, and then click on those. I have
a button that clearly says "Logoff" - no fussing around trying to remember
what function key does what.  ;-)

>allow multiple phonebooks?
>do phonebook entries have columns for name, phone number, comm para-
>   meters, key file, script file?
>can the user select multiple names for auto-rotation dialing?
>have separate named key files, script files? Can these be changed
>   while connected?

No phone book per se. We have scripts that do the same job, and can
be customized to do what you want done.

>have a script language?

Yup. It also has a very nice script editor builtin. I releaves you of
needing to remember the script language syntax. All the commands are
there in a listbox, and selecting one allows you to see all the options
(syntical elements) of the command.

>have a chat mode?

No

>have a single parameter screen that shows all the various comm para-
>   meters?  Can be called and chanegd at any time, with a few clicks
>   of the mouse?

That's kind of tough to do with limit screen real estate! It could be
done, but then you'd have the busiest, most densely packed window you
ever saw in your life. That tends to scare novice and pro users alike.

Instead the parameter settings are grouped by function. There are
terminal settings, comm settings, protocol settings and so on.

>have a capture mode?

Most definitely. There is capture to file, append to file, and save
selection (from scrollback buffer) to file.

>That should do for a start.  Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot... what does it
>cost?  Are you shipping?

Retail is $295.

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (08/29/90)

In article <26CC8B8F.1885@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> popeye@doc.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) writes:

>The short of it is I looked at the latest version of Unicom and becoming really
>pissed at the nag messages and the crippled version I took the risk and
>registered.... and I really like it.

I got pi**'d too and sent mail to the author. He replied promptly
saying that he had placed a UNICOM 2.0c on compuserve that is
functionally operational but continues to have the nagmessages. (I can
live with that.) From 1st looks, I liked what I saw (except I could not
use 19.2, and some other features...). The author also indicated that
vt100 would be supported in a future release.

Would someone let me know when this version is available for anonymous
ftp? I do not subscribe to CS.

Thanks.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

In article <1990Aug27.020132.16549@svc.portal.com> daven@svc.portal.com writes:
>In article <8320@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:
>>Recommend you always try the shareware products first.  In this way you get to
>>know the products and don't have to rely on extreme opinions like the above.
>
>Good advice, I offer the same advice to newcomers that don't know what they
>want from a telecomm package. Now, just to toss a twist into the discussion,
>we're (Software Ventures) shipping MicroPhone II for Windows. I haven't
>seen any discussion of it here, so I thought it's time to stimulate some.
>For better or worse.  ;-)
>
>Dave Newman

Hi Dave,

You asked for this... I purchased MicroPhone II in my quest for a good
Windows 3 comm program (only because a fellow customer said he loved the
Mac version) for $100 more than CrossTalk for Windows. I brought it home
and logged in to our Sun 4/490 UNIX box at work through a dialback
system at 19200 baud!

Microphone II died with an "Unrecoverable Application Error" when I
tried to edit a file using vi. I sent mail to your support group and
they called me back the next day and acknowledged knowing about the bug.
I returned it the next day for a full refund.

Further, there is no online help in Microphone II. For me to recommend
it as a approved tool for our company, this is suicide! I have to then
answer the silliest of questions.

I did like the 'Watch Me' feature that learnt the script as you logged
in. The ability to have a script show up as a button on the screen is
really neat. I do miss a formal directory screen with all my numbers and
places I call in one place [This may actually be there, I only used the
s/w for a couple of hours.]

The scrolling was extremely slow, but then I am running in
1024x768x16 which I am told makes is slow.

So much for my experience with Microphone II. Those who do not use
vt100s may find it a good expensive program for $236 (at Fry's). I am
waiting to get my hands on UNICOM 2.0c which looked very promising in
its crippled state (UNICOM 2.0).