[comp.windows.ms] Run QuickC QCL in window

eabg020@orion.oac.uci.edu (Donald Doherty) (08/29/90)

I have been attempting to compile the simple sample code
in the SDK using NMAKE or QCL alone in a DOS window (386
extended mode) and continue to get various memory errors
during compilation (most popular - out of far heap mem.).

I have played with several mem. parameters in the PIF editor
but remain frustrated.  When I leave windows compilation
proceeds normally and results in working windows applications.

Any suggestions?

Thank-you!

Don D.
eabg020@orion.oac.uci.edu

karel@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Karel Zuiderveld) (08/29/90)

In <26DB801F.14356@orion.oac.uci.edu> eabg020@orion.oac.uci.edu (Donald Doherty) writes:

>I have been attempting to compile the simple sample code
>in the SDK using NMAKE or QCL alone in a DOS window (386
>extended mode) and continue to get various memory errors
>during compilation (most popular - out of far heap mem.).

The following may help:

1) Use NMK instead of NMAKE (uses less memory)
2) Disable parts of the <windows.h> file by making appropriate defines
   (#define NOCOMM, #define NOKANJI etc., see <windows.h>)
3) Check available memory in MS-DOS. Maybe using other DOS versions
   or shells (DRDOS5, 4DOS) may give you more memory.
4) Use the CL compiler instead .

I'm compiling pretty large Windows programs in DOS Windows without any
problems; especially tip #2 surely did helps...

Karel

Karel Zuiderveld                            E-mail: karel@cv.ruu.nl
3D Computer Vision - Room E.02.222          Tel:    (31-30) 506682/507772
Academisch Ziekenhuis Utrecht               Fax:    (31-30) 513399
Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
---------------- If Murphy's law can go wrong, it will ------------------