[comp.windows.ms] MS Windows as an X Terminal

dowding@ai.sri.com (John Dowding) (08/28/90)

I work in X Windows all day at work.  Is there any way to use MS
Windows on my PC at home as an X terminal *over the phone line*?
I have heard of packages that emulate X over a network, but I need
something that will work over the modem.

Thanks.

John Dowding
dowding@ai.sri.com

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (08/29/90)

In article <DOWDING.90Aug28091147@palm.ai.sri.com> dowding@ai.sri.com (John Dowding) writes:

>I work in X Windows all day at work.  Is there any way to use MS
>Windows on my PC at home as an X terminal *over the phone line*?
>I have heard of packages that emulate X over a network, but I need
>something that will work over the modem.

	X-Windows is slow enough over TCP/IP.  I couldn't imagine it running
	over the phone lines.  We did have a X-Terminal which could communicate
	over a RS-232 (also one which worked over SCSI) but it was WAY to slow
	to get anything done.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----