[comp.windows.ms] Windows Development on a Budget

cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (08/29/90)

Let's say, hypothetically, that I am a poor grad student who wants
to port a large X application to MS Windows.  The software tools run
$100 for windows + $350 for MSC + $350 for Windows SDK = $800.

Who at Microsoft could tell me about an educational discount program?
Will Turbo C cut it for Windows development?
Would a 2.11 development system be source-code compatible with Win3.0?
Are their any alternatives to the SDK?

This raises the general question of: how come no one cares that Microsoft
has excluded the hobbyist and casual programmer from Windows programming?

If anyone knows how much the new Quarterdeck-with-X-Windows product costs
and how much it costs to develop for it, I'd be interested in hearing.
Thanks, y'all!
--
--

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (08/29/90)

In article <382@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:

>Let's say, hypothetically, that I am a poor grad student who wants
>to port a large X application to MS Windows.  The software tools run
>$100 for windows + $350 for MSC + $350 for Windows SDK = $800.
	Windows is $50 mail order.
	On educational discount MSC is $200, SDK is $250.
	This is $500.  Now you can use Quick C instead of MSC so the total
	would be about $350. Or your best bet would be to get Zortech C++.
	I think all you need is the compiler so that would cost you $150 with
	a total of $450 (Zortech does also have an education discount).

>Who at Microsoft could tell me about an educational discount program?
	I always bought things though my campus computer store (Georgia Tech).
	You might try calling 1-800-323-3577 or 1-800-428-9400. One of these
	numbers is the Windows Hotline and the other one doesn't work :-)

>Will Turbo C cut it for Windows development?
	Nope. Stony Brook Modula 2 will :-)

>Would a 2.11 development system be source-code compatible with Win3.0?
	For most things it would be.  You will need to get mark.com to mark
	your programs as Win3.0 compatable.  I would recommend the Win3.0
	SDK over the Win2.11 SDK.

>Are their any alternatives to the SDK?
	No.  Well, there is Actor.  However, I still think you need the SDK and
	Actor probably isn't going to help make the porting very easy.

>This raises the general question of: how come no one cares that Microsoft
>has excluded the hobbyist and casual programmer from Windows programming?
	A lot of people care about this and have complained about it to
	Microsoft.  However, Windows is not an easy environment to program
	for.  Microsoft doesn't want to provide support for a bunch of
	people who don't now how to program.  They are waiting for others to
	provide this kind of support.  In any event most of the graphic
	libraries which provide Windowing capabilities cost about the same
	as the SDK.  I do which that the libraries for Windows was free and
	that they just charged for docs.

>If anyone knows how much the new Quarterdeck-with-X-Windows product costs
>and how much it costs to develop for it, I'd be interested in hearing.
>Thanks, y'all!
	I have not idea about this.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----