[comp.windows.ms] Getting fonts working

MXP122@psuvm.psu.edu (Malzor) (08/28/90)

I recently got a hold of a lot of fonts for msWindows 3.0.  I installed them
using the control panel.  Now that they're installed, what can I use them with?
Microsoft Write doesn't seem to want to use them.  Is there anyway to use them
with Window's Write?

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (08/28/90)

In article <90239.155217MXP122@psuvm.psu.edu> MXP122@psuvm.psu.edu (Malzor) writes:
>I recently got a hold of a lot of fonts for msWindows 3.0.  I installed them
>using the control panel.  Now that they're installed, what can I use them with?
>Microsoft Write doesn't seem to want to use them.  Is there anyway to use them
>with Window's Write?

Only if you have either 1) a dot-matrix printer, or 2) a PostScript printer,
or 3) matching PCL softfonts.  If you have a dot-matrix printer, Windows
will use the same fonts for printing; otherwise the fonts can only be used
to preview printer fonts.  What's your setup?

--
Jason "Burma!" Merrill			jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

andrzej@bcars268.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (08/28/90)

(Malzor) writes:

|>I recently got a hold of a lot of fonts for msWindows 3.0.  I installed them
|>using the control panel.  Now that they're installed, what can I use
them with?
|>Microsoft Write doesn't seem to want to use them.  Is there anyway to
use them
|>with Window's Write?

I obtained a copy of the fonts from cica.cica.indiana.edu, I decoded
them (using LHarc) and installed in my system. I started Word, went to
setup a printer changed the printer to PostScript ... the fonts did not
appear in Word. The same with Write (and couple of other programs).
I can review all the fonts using Control Panel, but can do nothing more
with them.

Are they useless?

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej
BitNet:  andrzej@BNR.CA
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,    Phone: (613) 763-2259
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7         Fax:   (613) 763-3283

MXP122@psuvm.psu.edu (Malzor) (08/30/90)

In article <8206@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
(Confusion Reigns) says:

> What's your setup?

HP Laser IIP. . .so ya figure it should work ain'ta?

alu@cbnewsk.att.com (Alan Lustiger) (08/30/90)

Although I haven't downloaded the fonts, I think I can answer this question
from what I know:

Screen fonts will print on dot-matrix printers. Ugly (the screen resolution
is lower than the printers') but it works.

You should be able to use them in PC Paintbrush and old Windows Paint
and print them on any printer that way. Not what you had in mind,
huh? :-)

They will not print on Postscript printers, nor on LaserJets, unless maybe
you're emulating an Epson 9-pin.

They are good if you have the corresponding laser printer fonts and want
an accurate screen representation. They are largely useless otherwise.

--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ | |             	AT&T Bell Laboratories ERC