[comp.windows.ms] Running without Pgm Mgr

blair@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian Lair) (08/28/90)

Here's an easy one...
With Windows 2.03, I could run Excel in an essentially run-time Windows
environment with the command "win :excel" (note the colon).  However, this
doesn't work with Windows 3.0.  How can I run a Windows program without
invoking the Program Manager?  I need to conserve as much memory as
possible for Excel since I'm running on a fairly bare-bones system.
--
+---- Brian R. Lair  ------------------------------------------------------+
|     NCR Corporation, PPD Wichita, VLSI/CAE Operations                    |

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) (08/29/90)

In SYSTEM.INI, there is a line under [boot] that reads "shell=progman.exe"
If you really want to run without Program Manager, put the name of your
application .EXE file in the shell= line.  When you shut down the application,
Windows will exit.  There is a shareware program to automatically change this
line for you, but I don't remember what it's called.

							Mark

clydep@hplsla.HP.COM (Clyde Phillips) (08/30/90)

>/ hplsla:comp.windows.ms / blair@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian Lair) /  6:16 am  Aug 28, 1990 /
>Here's an easy one...
>With Windows 2.03, I could run Excel in an essentially run-time Windows
>environment with the command "win :excel" (note the colon).  However, this
>doesn't work with Windows 3.0.  How can I run a Windows program without
>invoking the Program Manager?  I need to conserve as much memory as
>possible for Excel since I'm running on a fairly bare-bones system.
>--
>+---- Brian R. Lair  ------------------------------------------------------+
>|     NCR Corporation, PPD Wichita, VLSI/CAE Operations                    |
>+---- <Brian.Lair@Wichita.NCR.COM> or <uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!brian.lair> ----+
>----------

Change the line in system.ini that says:

		shell=progman.exe
to:

		shell=excel.exe

Clyde Phillips

chrisg@microsoft.UUCP (Chris GUZAK) (08/31/90)

In article <669@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM> blair@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian Lair) writes:
>Here's an easy one...
>With Windows 2.03, I could run Excel in an essentially run-time Windows
>environment with the command "win :excel" (note the colon).  However, this
>doesn't work with Windows 3.0.  How can I run a Windows program without
>invoking the Program Manager?  I need to conserve as much memory as
>possible for Excel since I'm running on a fairly bare-bones system.
>--
>|     NCR Corporation, PPD Wichita, VLSI/CAE Operations                    |
>+---- <Brian.Lair@Wichita.NCR.COM> or <uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!brian.lair> ----+

Setup excel as your shell.  In your system.ini file change
shell=progman.exe to
shell=excel.exe

Note, that to be a proper shell a program needs to do a few extra
things to clean up when it exits, but if you are only running one
app this shouldn't be a problem.

Chris Guzak