[comp.windows.ms] WIN3 + PC-NFS

pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) (07/31/90)

Has somebody succeeded to install and run WIN3 with PC-NFS ?

--
Pentti Soini					pena@yj.data.nokia.fi
Nokia Data, General Systems, Finland		+358-0-5673987

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (08/01/90)

In article <717@tuura.UUCP> pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) writes:
>Has somebody succeeded to install and run WIN3 with PC-NFS ?

Loosely speaking, yes.  We have PC-NFS 3.0.1 and I do use WIN3 on
a Compaq 386/20 with 4MB of RAM added quite a bit.

HOWEVER - if I ever forget that NFS is loaded and attempt to use
the WIN3 file manager, I immediately get the Windows error message
"Cannot access drive e: " and must cold boot.  For now, the best
solution has been to maintain several sets of boot-up files....

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108

carlp@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Carl Peterson) (08/02/90)

  I use PC/TCP+ from FTP Software Inc. which provides PC-NFS
services to our HP9000 Unix based workstations.  Unlike the
SUN PC-NFS programs, PC/TCP gets along with MS-Windows 3.0
very well.  I can also run FTP, FTP server, and Telnet from
MS-Windows 3.0, though not in a multitasking/background fashion.

  I bought PC/TCP+ to use along with VisionWare's XVision
X Windows server.  This provides X Windows access to the
HP9000s using MS-Windows as the windows manager.  Both products
perform well.  I really appreciate the fact that MicroSoft
cooperated with and followed many of the provisions of the
Motif X Windows interface.  This means that I can move from
my workstation to my PC and see the same windows decorations and
use the same keystrokes and mouse hits to control them.

|   Carl Peterson	(206) 896-2745	       	       |
|   Hewlett-Packard                                    |
|   Vancouver Division (R&D Lab)                       |
|   P.O. Box 8906       			       |
|   Vancouver, WA 98668-8906                           |
|   HPDesk: Carl Peterson/HPD300/04                    |
|   Unix to Unix: carlp@hpvclcp                        |
|                 ucbvax!hplabs!hpvclcp!carlp          |

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (08/02/90)

In article <717@tuura.UUCP> pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) writes:
> Has somebody succeeded to install and run WIN3 with PC-NFS ?

Yep. File manager works fine; most everything does.

The only problem is that we assign network drives sparsely, and WIN
complains about not being able to access the drives in the holes (e.g.
we use J,K,T; WIN can't access L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S, and I think V).  There
is probably some way to fix this.

Also, this was installed on the system while the PC-NFS was inactive;
in fact while OS/2 was running. Windows noticed the network when it
came up, though.

In fact it works fine in all 3  modes (OS2 DOS box, local, and PC-NFS.)
It even understand OS/2 HPFS partitions.  Windows says it can't run DOS
applications under OS/2, if you see what I mean. (My head hurts.) It
also runs fine in an OS/2 2.0 full-screen DOS window ...

Of course, if only I had PC-NFS under OS/2 none of this would be
necessary. Works OK though.

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz

marknew@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Mark Newman) (08/02/90)

I too am using Win3 and PC-NFS 3.0.1 and encountered the same drive
error messages for undefined PC-NFS drives. You can click on the
'cancel' button for each of the drives, but that is a bit crude. I
called Sun and asked about it; they said that there is an option
switch for the PCNFS.SYS file that sets the number of network
drives. The syntax is

                 /dN, where N is the number of PC-NFS drives.

For example,

         DEVICE=C:\NFS\PCNFS.SYS /d5     defines 5 network drives.

I use this method and File Manager works perfectly. BTW, this switch
was supposed to be in the manual but was left out for some reason.
Sun also stated that a new release of PC-NFS is in the works that
will work better with Win3 and require less RAM. No info on when it
will appear, though.

Hope this helps.

---
Mark Newman
Rosemount, Inc.
marknew@rosevax.rosemount.com

sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) (08/02/90)

In article <438@bohra.cpg.oz> ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) writes:
>In article <717@tuura.UUCP> pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) writes:
>> Has somebody succeeded to install and run WIN3 with PC-NFS ?
>
>Yep. File manager works fine; most everything does.

Is this FTP software's NFS or SUN's NFS?

geoff@nluug.nl (G. Coupe EPD/74 O75/1435) (08/03/90)

In article <22080005@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> carlp@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Carl Peterson) writes:

>  I use PC/TCP+ from FTP Software Inc. which provides PC-NFS
>services to our HP9000 Unix based workstations.  Unlike the
>SUN PC-NFS programs, PC/TCP gets along with MS-Windows 3.0
>very well.  I can also run FTP, FTP server, and Telnet from
>MS-Windows 3.0, though not in a multitasking/background fashion.

Well, gets along pretty well...  On my Compaq 386/33, if I have the
PC/FTP kernel loaded, whenever I use the file manager to read diskette
b:, the whole system locks up requiring the three-fingered salute...
Something, somewhere, is not quite kosher...

- Geoff Coupe, Dept EPD/74, SIPM

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (08/06/90)

In article <26B84D63.26849@orion.oac.uci.edu> sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) writes:
> In article <438@bohra.cpg.oz> ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) writes:
>>In article <717@tuura.UUCP> pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) writes:
>>> Has somebody succeeded to install and run WIN3 with PC-NFS ?
>>
>>Yep. File manager works fine; most everything does.
>>

> Is this FTP software's NFS or SUN's NFS?

Sun's PC-NFS.

--

prk@planet.bt.co.uk (Peter Knight) (08/20/90)

pena@tuura.UUCP (Pentti Soini) writes:

>Has somebody succeeded to install and run WIN3 with PC-NFS ?

>--
>Pentti Soini					pena@yj.data.nokia.fi
>Nokia Data, General Systems, Finland		+358-0-5673987
>Tech. Support / Unix based systems		PO.Box 780, SF-00101 Helsinki

Yes, I have.  The machine details are a BT/Zenith 386 boxes, running
4MB+ of ram, MS-DOS 3.21 PC-NFS v3.0.1 and obviously Windows 3.0.

That the two co-exist, however, does not mean that all is heaven and light
Despite my earlier message on the subject, telnet does not work reliably
in a DOS window.  After a while, it crashes, removing telnet and Windows.

Other problems include having to print onto files, rather than network
devices.

However, if you only wish to you remote drives, I have not encountered any
other problems.

Peter Knight
BT Research

Tel +44 (0)473 644108

#include <standard/disclaimer.h>

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) (08/21/90)

	We have PCNFS 3.0.1a running on Dell 310 (20Mhz 386) with
WIndows 3.0.  We do not have any problem spooling to a networked
postscript printer via PCNFS using LPT3 - even though Sun recommended
using lpt1.os2 option.  In fact I have loaded half of windows onto
the network to decrease the use of the PC's hard disk space.

Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT, Cambridge, MA
		gavin@caf.mit.edu

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (08/28/90)

A quick call to the helpful people at Sun revealed the following
solutions:

1.) starting pcnfs.sys with a "/f#" switch (where # is the number of
virtual drives desired), coupled with "lastdisk=<letter>" where
<letter> is whatever your last real disk is, plus #, eliminates all
those awful extra drives in the file manager.

2.) printing to lpt1.os2 and lpt2.os2 (instead of lpt1 and lpt2) gets
printing to work.  Apparently microsoft just got too clever for
themselves once again.

I have never had any trouble with PC-NFS.  I haven't tried any telnet
sessions under windows though.

					  Eric Pilger
					  NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (08/28/90)

Quoth pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (in <9126@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>):
#
#1.) starting pcnfs.sys with a "/f#" switch (where # is the number of
                                ^^^

That should be "/d#". "/f#" sets the number of FCBs reserved for
files on NFS drives. [I hope that was just a typo on your part.]

An example: if your PC has physical drives A:, B: and C:, and
you need to mount 3 NFS drives, you can do the following:

(1) use NFSCONF to define the mounted drives as D:, E: and F:
(2) edit your CONFIG.SYS file to add "/d3" to your PCNFS.SYS
    line and set LASTDRIVE=F

This causes DOS to set up a short LDT (logical drive table) with
entries for drives A-F. When Windows starts up, the file manager
will try to determine the state of each drive in the LDT.
Since all entries are valid, it won't complain.

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --

To receive a full copy of my .signature, please dial 1-900-GUE-ZORK.
Each call will cost you one zorkmid.

prk@planet.bt.co.uk (Peter Knight) (08/28/90)

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) writes:

>A quick call to the helpful people at Sun revealed the following
>solutions:

>1.) starting pcnfs.sys with a "/f#" switch (where # is the number of
>virtual drives desired), coupled with "lastdisk=<letter>" where
><letter> is whatever your last real disk is, plus #, eliminates all
>those awful extra drives in the file manager.

>2.) printing to lpt1.os2 and lpt2.os2 (instead of lpt1 and lpt2) gets
>printing to work.  Apparently microsoft just got too clever for
>themselves once again.

Thank you, I shall try that.

>I have never had any trouble with PC-NFS.  I haven't tried any telnet
>sessions under windows though.

I have, it works okay for about two minutes, then crashes Windows and Telnet
at the same time....

Peter Knight
BT Research
#include <std.disclaimer>

cave@randvax.UUCP (Jonathan Cave) (08/30/90)

I have been running PC-NFS and Windows together for a while, with partial
success.  Telnet sessions are no problem if one remembers to create a .pif
file that specifies exclusive operation.  I have also built .pifs to do
background mail check (browse.exe the mail spooler), incorporate mail (rsh
the telnet inc command), read mail, etc. the problem comes when I try to
rsh other commands, including the supposedly telnet-recognized sendmail, let
alone other commands built into my Unix C shell on the Sun.  When I try to
run the commands, I get dumped back to the Dos prompt.  Windows is dead,
telnet is dead.  "exit" does nothing.  A RAM check shows 404K, which means
that PC-NFS and Win3 are still in there (both drivers and program). If I
rerun Win3 I get a crippled session that locks up w/o warning, requiring hard
reboot.

Now the size of the RAM may have you asking, "what miniscule system is this
dude running, anyhow?"  Its a Compaq 386/20e with 4M linear memory, VGA, 110M
HD, 1.2M floppy, MS mouse, 80387 and Etherlink II comm. board.  PC-NFS
PC-NFS connects me to a bunch of SparCs running the usual Unix. I have a
permanent swapfile, so Win3 tells me I have 10939K of memory available (lying
toad -- I can't load anything using more than 404K, though I am sure I could
run it if it loaded -- but that's another problem:-().

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.  I'd ask for tech. help,
but the MS-Sun war makes it hard to find a knowledgable and disinterested
party to ask.  Oh, well, at least I'm not trying to run Novell:-)

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (08/31/90)

Quoth cave@rand-unix.UUCP (Jonathan Cave) (in <2689@randvax.UUCP>):
#
#Any help with this problem would be appreciated.  I'd ask for tech. help,
#but the MS-Sun war makes it hard to find a knowledgable and disinterested
#party to ask.  Oh, well, at least I'm not trying to run Novell:-)

MS-Sun war? While I agree that both of us were slow off the mark on
this (charitably let me assume that MS's hands were full coping with
Novell, 3Com et al), Sun and MS are listening to our customers and
working hard - *together* - on these issues.  You should note that we
are *not* going to rush out untested patches or specials: we think that
the work is important enough to put it through the regular NPI process
of full SQA, alpha, beta, etc. For good or ill, company policy prevents
me from pre-announcing details or dates.....

The bottom line: we're monitoring these discussions on comp.windows.ms
and comp.protocols.nfs, answering questions where appropriate, and
working on resolving the problems.

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***