[comp.windows.ms] QEMM386/Windows config question

bei@halley.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) (08/06/90)

I got QEMM 386 yesterday (and found out that 5.0 will be superceded in two
weeks or so) and after configuring it, found that configuring QEMM to use
LOADHI locks out Windows 386 Enhanced mode.  Has anyone gotten 386 enhanced
Windows to run under QEMM 5.0?  Don't say RTFM, please, the Windows 3.0
manual has been loaned out.
Thanks!
-- Bob
--

                       Bob Izenberg [ ] Tandem Computers, Inc.
           cs.utexas.edu!halley!bei [ ] 512 244 8837

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/06/90)

In article <938@halley.UUCP> bei@halley.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) writes:
|I got QEMM 386 yesterday (and found out that 5.0 will be superceded in two
|weeks or so) and after configuring it, found that configuring QEMM to use
|LOADHI locks out Windows 386 Enhanced mode.  Has anyone gotten 386 enhanced

Sorry, you lose! Win3 requires DPMI support, a standard that is still
under development. QD has been pushing a new version of QEMM that
is compatible with Win3 but only in real mode (get real!) or
standard mode. They do not appear to have Win3 386 mode support yet
nor do they seem to be making any kind of schedule predictions.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Real Pacifists don't call the Police.

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (08/07/90)

bei@halley.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) writes:

>I got QEMM 386 yesterday (and found out that 5.0 will be superceded in two
>weeks or so) and after configuring it, found that configuring QEMM to use
>LOADHI locks out Windows 386 Enhanced mode.  Has anyone gotten 386 enhanced
>Windows to run under QEMM 5.0?  Don't say RTFM, please, the Windows 3.0
>manual has been loaned out.

MS-Windows 3.0 is not compatible with QEMM 5.0 in 386 Enhanced or 286
Standard mode.  Page 542 of the MS-Windows 3 manual states that memory
managers such as 386Max (Qualitas), CEMM (Compaq), and QEMM (Quarter-
Deck) may only be used when Windows 3 is started in the REAL mode.

The problem is, Win3 in Standard and Enhanced mode does its own memory
management, which conflicts with other memory managers noted above.
Also, as the above utils use 386 protected mode for thier operation,
Win3 cannot get the exclusive use of the processor it requires.

Forthcoming versions of QEMM and 386Max are supposed to alleviate this
problem.  QEMM should be out RSN (REAL SOON NOW), and reports say that
386Max should be out in September.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/07/90)

In article <Aug.6.17.36.10.1990.29219@dorm.rutgers.edu>
medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
|Forthcoming versions of QEMM and 386Max are supposed to alleviate this
|problem.  QEMM should be out RSN (REAL SOON NOW), and reports say that
|386Max should be out in September.

BUT!!! The new version of QEMM DOES NOT support 386 mode, only standard
mode. Barf.

Is 386max any better?

--

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (08/07/90)

In a recent article phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>BUT!!! The new version of QEMM DOES NOT support [Win3] 386 mode, only standard
>mode. Barf.
>
>Is 386max any better?

No.  The new 386^max (version 5) package includes a card which tells you
(after you open the package) that it doesn't support WIN3 except in real
(and maybe standard -- I'm not sure) mode, and that the next update (due
RSN) will.  They use that as an incentive to get you to return the registration
card.

I wouldn't be so concerned if I could use the EMM386.SYS driver packaged
with Windows 3 without having it blow up as soon as some program asks for
LIM memory.  I don't even get far enough to start Windows itself...

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (08/09/90)

> BUT!!! The new version of QEMM DOES NOT support 386 mode, only standard
> mode. Barf.

Then why do they bother to release a new QEMM ? That would be the same
as the current one. Someone told me that the new QEMM is supposed to
be able to run with Windows in 386 mode. But then, there's no way to
verify this until the thing comes out on the market.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) (08/10/90)

From article <18950003@hpfinote.HP.COM>, by pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim):

>> BUT!!! The new version of QEMM DOES NOT support 386 mode, only standard
>> mode. Barf.
>>
> Then why do they bother to release a new QEMM ?

It's not as big an issue with 386 enhanced.  386 enhanced uses the
virtual memory so that Windows swaps itself out when the computer runs
out of conventional memory for the non-windows applications.

Tom Laughner
DOS Consultant/Analyst
University of Notre Dame
(219) 239-8270
TLAUGHNE@IRISHMVA

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/13/90)

In article <18950003@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
|> BUT!!! The new version of QEMM DOES NOT support 386 mode, only standard
|> mode. Barf.
|Then why do they bother to release a new QEMM ? That would be the same
|as the current one.

Nope, the current one is not compatible with standard mode, only
real mode.

--

In article <331@news.nd.edu> laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) writes:
|It's not as big an issue with 386 enhanced.  386 enhanced uses the

It's still a big issue if you have big network drivers that you
want to load in "high DOS" memory, a capability that died with
Windows 3.0.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Real Pacifists don't call the Police.

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/14/90)

In article <331@news.nd.edu> laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) writes:
=From article <18950003@hpfinote.HP.COM>, by pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim):
=>>
=
=It's not as big an issue with 386 enhanced.  386 enhanced uses the
=virtual memory so that Windows swaps itself out when the computer runs
=out of conventional memory for the non-windows applications.

So are you saying that people who run enhanced mode in Windows but who
also need QEMM *should* get the 5.1 version?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) (08/14/90)

From article <1990Aug13.071621.21731@amd.com>, by phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai):
> In article <18950003@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
> |> BUT!!! The new version of QEMM DOES NOT support 386 mode, only standard
> |> mode. Barf.
> |Then why do they bother to release a new QEMM ? That would be the same
> |as the current one.
>
> Nope, the current one is not compatible with standard mode, only
> real mode.

You do not need additional memory management for 386 enhanced.  That's
what HIMEM.SYS is.  Windows in 386 enhanced does not have the 640k
barrier.  This means that if you have two MB of memory, this is
contiguous memory...whether it's a Windows application or a non-Windows
application.

Tom Laughner
DOS Consultant/Analyst
University of Notre Dame
(219) 273-1039
TLAUGHNE@IRISHMVA

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (08/14/90)

Has anyone tried using QRAM with 386Enh mode?  If I run QD Manifest in a
window that has some EMS, it tells me I should be using QRAM.  The problem
there is that I don't have QRAM...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/14/90)

In article <343@news.nd.edu> laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) writes:
|You do not need additional memory management for 386 enhanced.  That's

Do you use any networks?

--

From article <1990Aug14.015042.15881@amd.com>, by phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai):
> In article <343@news.nd.edu> laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) writes:
> |You do not need additional memory management for 386 enhanced.  That's
>
> Do you use any networks?

Our next stage of testing is on networks.  We run Vines and Netware
here.  So far we haven't had any problems with Netware 2.15C running
applications like WordPerfect, dBase, or Lotus.  We have some
applications that are very memory intensive that we haven't tested yet.
We haven't done any testing on Banyan, yet.  Vines is so much more
memory intensive, that if we don't have any problems on Vines, we're
set.  According to Microsoft, though, we shouldn't have any problems
(notice we're testing their claims, first, BEFORE we implement...).

Tom Laughner
DOS Consultant/Analyst
University of Notre Dame
(219) 239-8270
TLAUGHNE@IRISHMVA

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/15/90)

In article <351@news.nd.edu> laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) writes:
|Our next stage of testing is on networks.  We run Vines and Netware
|here.  So far we haven't had any problems with Netware 2.15C running
|applications like WordPerfect, dBase, or Lotus.  We have some
|applications that are very memory intensive that we haven't tested yet.
|We haven't done any testing on Banyan, yet.  Vines is so much more
|memory intensive, that if we don't have any problems on Vines, we're
|set.  According to Microsoft, though, we shouldn't have any problems
|(notice we're testing their claims, first, BEFORE we implement...).

The question is not whether or not networks will work in Enhanced mode,
the question is how much free memory does a DOS app get after you
load a big network driver in config.sys? Before Win3, products
like QEMM and 386Max could let you load a network driver in "high DOS"
memory and still have over 600K free. Now, even the promised version of
QEMM only works in STANDARD mode and if you want to run Enhanced, that
network driver has to sit in your 640K. (I think, please correct me
if I'm wrong.) 640K is no problem for a Win3 app since it can use
extended memory but a DOS app is presumably still limited to 640K.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
I'm trying hard to visualize world peace. Did it work yet?

sam@hpspdra.HP.COM (Sam Espartero) (08/15/90)

#/ hpspdra:comp.windows.ms / laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) / 11:26 am  Aug 13, 1990 /
#You do not need additional memory management for 386 enhanced.  That's
#what HIMEM.SYS is.  Windows in 386 enhanced does not have the 640k
#barrier.  This means that if you have two MB of memory, this is
#contiguous memory...whether it's a Windows application or a non-Windows
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^
	640K barrier still applies here! How'd you run a 512K
non-windows application if you open a DOS window and find out you only
have 450K? The reason a lot of folks (including myself) try to sqeeze in
more conventional RAM, especially if Network software is present, is to
accomodate these non-windows apps, a.k.a. 640K-DOS.
----------
- Sam (disclaimer won't compile) Espartero -
Hewlett-Packard, Stanford Park
1501 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA. 94304

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (08/29/90)

That's the whole point.  Microsoft made it incompatible on purpose.
They decided not to be VCPI compliant.  Anything that tries to use
protected mode (QEMM, Paradox386, Autocad386, etc.) will have a LOT
of trouble in conjunction with Windows 3.0 Enhanced mode (or even
Standard Mode, for that matter.)

The folks at Quarterdeck are, as ever, on top of things.  They're fix
for this latest Microsoft attempt to increase software entropy is QEMM
5.1.  I've seen it, it works, and I'm a little amazed to see how
quickly they responded.

Please don't blame Quarterdeck for the (neverending?) shortcomings of
Microsoft.

				   Eric Pilger
				   NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (08/29/90)

A lot of confusion seems to be arising from the never ending battle
Microsoft seems to wage with the rest of the world.  Microsoft has
always claimed that their memory management is better (himem.sys,
smartdrive.sys).  In past versions, you actually had to find a way to
lie about what you had, just to get Windows installed.

The truth has been that a number of high quality products have always
been preferable to what Windows gives you. These products (Qualitas
386Max, QEMM, CEMM, Compaq Cache, etc.) have always worked with
Windows (contrary to the claims of the installation program.)  They
provide a much needed service.  For people like myself who use
networks, they are indispensible.

Windows 3.0 claimed, once again, that it could do things better.  This
time it backed up its words with actions, and denied access to any but
the most basic functionality for those who bucked the system.  The
vendors of some of the above products ahve nonetheless found work
arounds and given us back what we cannot do without (and what Windows
3.0 does not provide.)

With QEMM 5.1, you can run Windows 3.0 in Standard Mode (there is not
yet an equivalent fix for QRAM.)  You can load your network drivers
high, and still get 550Kb DOS windows from within windows.  You cannot
multitask using Enhanced Mode, but you can multitask using DESQview.

The only thing you loose is Enhanced Mode (ie. Multitasking.) YOU DO
NOT BREAK THE 640K BARRIER WITH ENHANCED MODE.  The problem is not in
the thing the thing the runs the software.  The problem is in the
software itself.  The majority of software written does not recognize
the existence of more than 640K, hence the 640K barrier.  The ONLY
thing that can break the 640K barrier is protected mode software.  A
lot of this WON'T RUN under Windows 3.0 Enhanced Mode.

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (08/29/90)

In article <9129@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) writes:

>Please don't blame Quarterdeck for the (neverending?) shortcomings of
>Microsoft.

Is it any more fair to blame Microsoft for the shortcomings of VCPI?

Aaron Wallace

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (08/29/90)

Eric Pilger <pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> writes in a nice, objective manner:
> The only thing you loose is Enhanced Mode (ie. Multitasking.) YOU DO
> NOT BREAK THE 640K BARRIER WITH ENHANCED MODE.  The problem is not in
> the thing the thing the runs the software.  The problem is in the
> software itself.  The majority of software written does not recognize
> the existence of more than 640K, hence the 640K barrier.  The ONLY
> thing that can break the 640K barrier is protected mode software.  A
> lot of this WON'T RUN under Windows 3.0 Enhanced Mode.

In fact, much of the software (soon to be a vast majority) that breaks the
640K barrier will ONLY run under Windows 3.0 (these are known as "Windows
applications").  Most of the rest will work with Windows, and only those
using the older VCPI extended memory interface will refuse to work with
Windows.

Get a clue, Eric.  You're bitching at Microsoft because Windows 3.0 doesn't
work well with QEMM/386 without understanding *WHY* Microsoft uses DPMI
instead of VCPI.  Windows is also primarily an operating environment for
Windows apps, *NOT* a multitasker for DOS apps -- and the Windows apps *CAN*
break the 640K barrier.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (08/30/90)

>>Please don't blame Quarterdeck for the (neverending?) shortcomings of
>>Microsoft.
>
>Is it any more fair to blame Microsoft for the shortcomings of VCPI?
>
>Aaron Wallace

Only too true, I suppose.  Somedays I think I may scream the next time
I see an exception #13.

My main beef with Microsoft is their insistence on making good, useful
software difficult (or impossible) to use.  It's a pity since Windows
3.0 is such a fine product.  Not only have they cured many
shortcomings of previous versions, but they have created a fine new
product in its own right.  If they would only get off their high horse
and work with the industry, the product would be perfect!

In article <1990Aug29.114402.7527@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>In fact, much of the software (soon to be a vast majority) that breaks the
>640K barrier will ONLY run under Windows 3.0 (these are known as "Windows
>applications").

But this is the same old song and dance we have been hearing for
years.  The facts are that only a few Windows Applications currently
take advantage of this feature.  To become "a vast majority", Windows
3.0 must be clearly superior, and it is not.  It does not provide
tools for making the most of EXISTING APPLICATIONS.  Countless others
have already learned that you ignore this at your own peril.
Microsoft still seems to be learning the lesson.

>Get a clue, Eric.  You're bitching at Microsoft because Windows 3.0 doesn't
>work well with QEMM/386 without understanding *WHY* Microsoft uses DPMI
>instead of VCPI.

I understand Microsoft uses DPMI because it meets its own agenda.
What I'm bitching at is that I have to pay the price for this agenda
that contains many things of absolutely no importance to me.
Microsoft is welcome to go its own way.  However, I need to use DOS,
and the extensive powers it already provides.  I can't wait for the
still unfulfilled promise of OS/2, and sadly, the currently
unfulfilled promise of Windows 3.0.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug29.114402.7527@watserv1.waterloo.edu>
tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
|Get a clue, Eric.  You're bitching at Microsoft because Windows 3.0 doesn't
|work well with QEMM/386 without understanding *WHY* Microsoft uses DPMI
|instead of VCPI.

I second that emotion!

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (08/31/90)

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) writes:

>In article <1990Aug29.114402.7527@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>>
>>In fact, much of the software (soon to be a vast majority) that breaks the
>>640K barrier will ONLY run under Windows 3.0 (these are known as "Windows
>>applications").

>But this is the same old song and dance we have been hearing for
>years.  The facts are that only a few Windows Applications currently
>take advantage of this feature.  To become "a vast majority", Windows

Excuse me, but this is simply not true. All old (i.e. 2.x) applications
which played by the rules take advantage of this feature, i.e. run
under Windows 3 in protected mode, without any modification. In fact,
my little KLOTZ game (which I distributed in February) was written
without any knowledge about Windows Version 3. Someone ran it through
one of the "mark as win 3 app" utilities, and now you can find it on
ftp servers in the Windows 3 app area. Many other applications share
this behaviour.

>3.0 must be clearly superior, and it is not.  It does not provide
>tools for making the most of EXISTING APPLICATIONS.  Countless others

While I like the support for existing old applications - which is
clearly superior to what OS/2 delivers -, I definitely am most interested
in what Windows 3 does for WINDOWS APPLICATIONS. The ability to
run old and matured Windows applications in protected mode is most
welcome. The highest priority on my private wishlist is a usable
resource management system (like the Macintosh one). But this does
not provide anything for existing applications, either (SIGH).

>have already learned that you ignore this at your own peril.
>Microsoft still seems to be learning the lesson.

>>Get a clue, Eric.  You're bitching at Microsoft because Windows 3.0 doesn't
>>work well with QEMM/386 without understanding *WHY* Microsoft uses DPMI
>>instead of VCPI.

>I understand Microsoft uses DPMI because it meets its own agenda.
>What I'm bitching at is that I have to pay the price for this agenda
>that contains many things of absolutely no importance to me.

I would like to know what things are of absolutely no importance to
you.

>Microsoft is welcome to go its own way.  However, I need to use DOS,
>and the extensive powers it already provides.  I can't wait for the
>still unfulfilled promise of OS/2, and sadly, the currently
>unfulfilled promise of Windows 3.0.

What promise of OS/2? What unfulfilled part of that? What unfulfilled
promise of Windows 3?

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

ahd@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire) (09/01/90)

From article <9140@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, by pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger):
> In article <1990Aug29.114402.7527@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>>Get a clue, Eric.  You're bitching at Microsoft because Windows 3.0 doesn't
>>work well with QEMM/386 without understanding *WHY* Microsoft uses DPMI
>>instead of VCPI.
>
> I understand Microsoft uses DPMI because it meets its own agenda.

And what is their own agenda?  Your comment doesn't answer the question,
because its own agenda is defined by the business case, etc.  Also,
doesn't it match your agenda?

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  ahd@kendra.kew.com            Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174