[comp.windows.ms] Qemm386 problems

PA251678@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx (09/02/90)

  Hello windows lovers. I have a ps/2 55 model with 386sx microprocesor
and I have just installed windows 3. The problem is that I have several
Windows2 utilities that I'd like to keep and for that reason I installed
QEMM386 in order to once in a while use windows in real mode. BUT it can't
hold. It constantly crashes or causes memory errors. Is it just me or maybe
the EMS emulator is corrupted. It could be since note pad is corrupted since
arrival (I'm quit sure). If it is a problem of compatibility what other
EM manager can I use that will work fine with windows. How about Xmaem and
Xma2emm (sorry if I mispelled the driver name) of DOS 4. Could they work?
I've seen a program called EMM,maybe that one could do the job. Any ways
please reply privetly to :

Raul Ramirez Velarde
Computer Science Dep.
ITESM
Bitnet   : pa251678@TECMTYVM
Internet : pa251678@Ttecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx

  Thanks and good luck.

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (09/02/90)

PA251678@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx writes:

>  Hello windows lovers. I have a ps/2 55 model with 386sx microprocesor
>and I have just installed windows 3. The problem is that I have several
>Windows2 utilities that I'd like to keep and for that reason I installed
>QEMM386 in order to once in a while use windows in real mode. BUT it can't
>hold. It constantly crashes or causes memory errors. Is it just me or maybe
>the EMS emulator is corrupted. It could be since note pad is corrupted since
>arrival (I'm quit sure). If it is a problem of compatibility what other
>EM manager can I use that will work fine with windows.

Why don't you use the EMS emulator EMM386.SYS which comes with Win 3?

Some time ago I had to use expanded memory outside of Windows, so
I installed it. It worked without problems. It was even possible to
run Windows in 386-mode while it was installed. I deinstalled it afterwards,
because Windows memory management is more flexible if it manages *all*
memory.

Have you tried to run your old Windows 2 utilities under Windows 2 under
Windows 3? I do that all the time. I only resort to pure Windows 2
if I have to use the debugging version of Windows with a serial terminal.

Some Windows 2 applications which fiddle with the hardware (scanner
software, for example) may not work this way.

>Raul Ramirez Velarde
>Computer Science Dep.
>ITESM
>Bitnet   : pa251678@TECMTYVM