[comp.windows.ms] Win3.0 vs. LogicTech Mice

cdh1@eds1.UUCP (C. Daniel Hassell) (08/20/90)

Maybe the world already knows about this, but we have found a bug in
the standard Win 3.0 driver for LogicTech mice.  Gateway 2000 used
to ship these mice to us with their systems (they have since switched
to MS rodents).  The problem is that when you open a non-Windows
app, in our case Lotus Symphony, and then close it and return to
Windows, the mouse goes bananas: the smallest movement will resize
all of the open windows, execute commands at random, open files, close
files, etc.  All of this excitement occurs without touching the mouse
buttons.  We have dubbed this the mouse-on-drugs effect.

The keyboard works normally and can (must!) be used to
quit Windows.  Restarting Windows is enough to restore order.  By the
way, this happens in 386 enhanced mode.  Note that Symphony is not
a mouse-using app, so this is not the standard problem of the non-Windows
app wanting exclusive control of the mouse hardware.

Anyway, if you reset the mouse driver (under Windows Setup) to read
"Mouse Systems or VisiOn Mouse on COMx" then it will work.

CD Hassell
cdh1@eds1!eds.com
psuvax1!eds1!cdh1

bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) (08/20/90)

In article <589@eds1.UUCP> cdh1@eds1.UUCP (C. Daniel Hassell) writes:
>Maybe the world already knows about this, but we have found a bug in
>the standard Win 3.0 driver for LogicTech mice.  Gateway 2000 used
>to ship these mice to us with their systems (they have since switched
>to MS rodents).  The problem is that when you open a non-Windows
> {problem deleted}

I have a GATEWAY 2000 386/20 and I use the Logitech c9 serial hi-res
mouse and have never experienced such problems.  Are you sure you have
windows configured for the correct mouse??

~ Bob N. Keenan                     |         ALGEBRA QUIZ
~ University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee | Q: What is 5q+5q?
~ bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu              | A: You're welcome!

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (08/24/90)

From:
11632.3.1674.1 Win3.0 vs. LogicTech Mice
8/19/90 19:57 23/1101 cdh1@eds1.UUCP (C. Daniel Hassell)

>Maybe the world already knows about this, but we have found a bug in
>the standard Win 3.0 driver for LogicTech mice.  Gateway 2000 used
>to ship these mice to us with their systems (they have since switched
>to MS rodents)...
>Windows, the mouse goes bananas: the smallest movement will resize
>all of the open windows, execute commands at random, open files, close
>files, etc.  All of this excitement occurs without touching the mouse
>buttons.  We have dubbed this the mouse-on-drugs effect.

Hmmm!

I've been using a Logitech HiRez 3-button bus mouse for two years, and
am now using it with Win3.0, and have never had a problem with it...
or its interaction with any product (hard or soft).

                                - MJB -

                        USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

mavanamm@pb2esac.UUCP (Marnix A. van Ammers) (08/29/90)

In article <589@eds1.UUCP> cdh1@eds1.UUCP (C. Daniel Hassell) writes:
>Maybe the world already knows about this, but we have found a bug in
>the standard Win 3.0 driver for LogicTech mice.  Gateway 2000 used
>to ship these mice to us with their systems (they have since switched
>to MS rodents).  The problem is that when you open a non-Windows
>app, in our case Lotus Symphony, and then close it and return to
>Windows, the mouse goes bananas: the smallest movement will resize
>all of the open windows, execute commands at random, open files, close
>files, etc.  All of this excitement occurs without touching the mouse
>buttons.  We have dubbed this the mouse-on-drugs effect.
>
>The keyboard works normally and can (must!) be used to
>quit Windows.  Restarting Windows is enough to restore order.  By the
>way, this happens in 386 enhanced mode.
>Anyway, if you reset the mouse driver (under Windows Setup) to read
>"Mouse Systems or VisiOn Mouse on COMx" then it will work.

Yes!  My God, I've been having this exact same problem and it's been
driving me nuts!  What's been especially bothersome is that whenever
I freshly install Win3.0 (I've done this about 10 times already), the
problem is gone, at least for a while.  I change nothing, and sooner
or later if I switch to DOS and back, then I've got this problem.  I
do have to touch the mouse for it to go bananas, but I don't have to
touch any buttons.  If I restore my \windows directory to its exact
original state (by copying everything back from a tape I made right
after initial installation when things were working), then I *still*
had the problem.  But if I reloaded Win3.0 from the floppies using
setup.exe, then my problem would be gone (for a couple of hours of
use or so).

I finally decided to check the NET and see if there were any articles
about mouse problems, and there it is!  I sure hope the fix mentioned
above will work.

I also still have some slight problem with little colered specks
on my screen especially when I'm running at 20 Mhz (instead of 8 Mhz),
and moving colored windows around.  Gotta check for articles on that.
Netnews came through!  Great!

--
Marnix A. van Ammers
...!pacbell!pttesac!mavanamm

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (08/30/90)

I have had a related problem with my LogiTech mouse. When I return from
a non-Windows app (FoxPro in this case) the mouse doesn't work at all. It
just remains frozen.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jmann@es.stratus.com

gokita@cadence.com (Glen Okita) (09/03/90)

Just some random thoughts...
DON'T load logimenu and click, all you need is the mouse driver for
the Logitech serial mouse to work with Windows.
Also, the mouse must be on COM1, and -- I don't know if this is
necessary -- but I edited my WIN.INI to set the baud rate for
COM1 to 2400.

neighorn@qiclab.uucp (Steven C. Neighorn) (09/04/90)

In article <GOKITA.90Sep2172642@cds796.cadence.com> gokita@cadence.com (Glen Okita) writes:
>Just some random thoughts...
>DON'T load logimenu and click, all you need is the mouse driver for
>the Logitech serial mouse to work with Windows.
>Also, the mouse must be on COM1, and -- I don't know if this is
>necessary -- but I edited my WIN.INI to set the baud rate for
>COM1 to 2400.

Absolutely right, and undocumented as far as I can find. I had a 19200
direct connection to another unix machine on COM1:, A logitech mouse on
COM2:, and an internal modem on COM3:.

Win 3.0 would come up *with* the mouse working about 1/3rd of the time.
There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to when the mouse would work and
when it would not work. Three-fingered salute, big-red-switch, nothing...
Regardless of what I did before starting up Win3, mouse operation seemed
random.  The really frustrating thing was I could run programs like
mtrack40 and Word Perfect 5.1 from inside windows and the mouse would
work find and dandy - But other windows apps, nada.

I switched the mouse to COM1: and the direct connection to COM2:, and I
haven't had any mouse-related problems since. I think the key words in
that last sentence are "mouse-related"...

--
Steven C. Neighorn  cse.ogi.edu!qiclab!neighorn OR neighorn@nosun.West.Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc.     "Where we DESIGN the Star Fighters that defend the