[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 multitasking

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (09/04/90)

1. Windows 3.0 uses cooperative multitasking for windows applications.
Has anyone figured out how to get away with calling CPU intensive
routines in Linpack and Eispack without rewriting them and not
creating big gaps in the machine response?

There are two objections to rewriting Linpack and Eispack.

	A. They are in FORTRAN, and make extensive use of multidimensional
	   formal parameters. This is a real problem in C, where you either
	   give up speed by making arrays into vectors of vectors (a la
	   Numerical Recipes) or you go insane using stride into simple
	   vectors. (You will run afoul of aliasing restrictions on
	   compiler optimizations if you try to make this approach even
	   remotely humane.)

	B. The rewriting of Linpack and Eispack is one of the few cases
	   where you shouldn't write your own code. This stuff has been
	   tested and used for many years now by the greater part of the
	   numerical analysis profession and many attempts to rewrite,
	   port, or otherwise tweak this code have produced substandard
	   results. The officially sanctioned rewriting of Linpack and
	   Eispack (the LA project) is writing the code for vector and
	   parallel processing, and will not (as far as I know) help with
	   sticking these things in Windows apps.

Yes, people have put these into Mac applications, but as everyone knows
they run slower than constipation in February on Macs. This would be a
nice situation to avoid.

2. Why does Windows support a subset character set? This seems just
out and out stupid to me. Does this mean that even if I create the
appropriate APL font that many Windows apps (notepad, etc.) will
not be able to use it? Under what circumstances would anyone writing
a GUI think that a limited character set was a good idea?

3. How do I get high speed (56K and 110K baud) serial communications
in a Windows App? Solution must work in same application as previous
two...

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

P.S. only 4 more months until DesqView/X.

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (09/04/90)

In article <1614@s6.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:

>2. Why does Windows support a subset character set? This seems just
>out and out stupid to me. Does this mean that even if I create the
>appropriate APL font that many Windows apps (notepad, etc.) will
>not be able to use it? Under what circumstances would anyone writing
>a GUI think that a limited character set was a good idea?

Windows doesn't support a subset character set; it supports the ANSI
character set. It provides functions like OEMToAnsi and AnsiToOEM that
translate between the ANSI character set and the OEM character set
that is native to the computer upon which you are running windows. It
is just a coincidence that every computer that runs Windows uses the
IBM extended character set. Many foreign countries use different OEM
character sets.

You can create an APL font and use it; however you probably don't want
to use it as the system font (which is what Notepad uses) because your
menus and dialogs will look a bit funny :-)

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                        Talk Hard.

pbalaji@synoptics.COM (Balaji Pitchaikani) (09/04/90)

In article <1614@s6.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>1. Windows 3.0 uses cooperative multitasking for windows applications.
>Has anyone figured out how to get away with calling CPU intensive
>routines in Linpack and Eispack without rewriting them and not
>creating big gaps in the machine response?

      I use PeekMessage() in a situation like yours. But I am not
sure though as to how the response will be.

>Andrew Mullhaupt
balaji
(pbalaji@mvis1.synoptics.com)