[comp.windows.ms] Attention! Windows Comm. Program

chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Aug31.184035.9324@cbnewsc.att.com> peter@cbnewsc.att.com (peter.pavlovcik) writes:
>Not for me it doesn't. When accessing a unix machine and trying to run
>emacs (Montgomery's), I get a number of "black boxes" scattered across
>the screen, although the screen looks OK overall.
>I played with it for a while, but could not make it work. The standard
>Win3.0 terminal emulator DOES NOT DO THIS (at the same speed) and
>works just fine. Except, of course, takes up the whole screen.
>Also wn100k emulator works just fine, but again, it only uses
>a large courier font. So the problem seems to be in WinQVT.

I'm not familiar with "Montgomery's Emacs", but I use GNU emacs
all the time with winqvt.  This sounds like a termcap problem to
me.  I've run winqvt through several vt100 "torture tests" and it's
passed all of them.

As far as terminal taking up the whole screen... has anybody
tried different sized fonts?  I'm running with 11pt vtascii and
the window takes up about 2/3'rds of the screen.  12pt terminal
also works well in about the same screen real estate.

My question about winqvt is how do you redefine the keyboard?  Using
GNU emacs, I want the PC's "del" key to send a "delete".  Currently,
I have to use the backspace key to do this.  Which means that I have
to use a "^h" to get backspace.  Urrr...  This is with the IBM setting
for character and edit key settings.

Chris
--
| Chris Anderson                                                       |
| QMA, Inc.                     email : {csusac,sactoh0}!utgard!chris  |