[comp.windows.ms] Permanent Swap File Problems

Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) (09/03/90)

Greetings!

I'm having problems setting up a permenant swap file.
When I try to run swapfile while in real mode from within Windows,
it tells me there is an incompatible driver in my config.sys file.
I've tried disabling all the devices in the config.sys file.
Here is what I have:

files = 30
buffers = 10
device =C:\dos\himem.sys
shell =C:\command.com C:\ /e:320 /p
device =C:\dos\dmdrvr.bin
device =C:\dos\ansi.sys
device =C:\dos\fastbios.sys
device =C:\util\vga\rambios.sys
device =C:\dos\smartdrv.sys 2048 512
device =C:\mouse1\mouse.sys

And here is my autoexec.bat file:

prompt $p$g
PATH =C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINWORD;C:\DOS;C:\UTIL;C:\UTIL\BATCH;C:\UTIL\EC;
C:\UTIL\NORTON;C:\QDOS;D:\;D:\TOOLBOOK;D:\ARCHIVE
sa bright white on blue
c:\UTIL\TSR\mapmem
set TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
win

Any suggestions?

Neptune@cup.portal.com
Dwayne Farley

ns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Nick Solntseff) (09/04/90)

In article <33470@cup.portal.com> Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) writes:
>Greetings!
>
>I'm having problems setting up a permenant swap file.
>When I try to run swapfile while in real mode from within Windows,
>it tells me there is an incompatible driver in my config.sys file.
>I've tried disabling all the devices in the config.sys file.
>Here is what I have:
>
> ... deleted ...
>

>Any suggestions?
>
>Neptune@cup.portal.com
>Dwayne Farley

The culprit I have discovered is dmdrvr.bin.  In order to use a permanent
swapfile, I had to resort to an upgrade of DOS to ver 4.01 which partitions
the disk itself without the need to use the dmdrvr.bin driver.

Nick Solntseff.....

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/05/90)

In article <33470@cup.portal.com> Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) writes:
>Greetings!
>
>I'm having problems setting up a permenant swap file.
>When I try to run swapfile while in real mode from within Windows,
>it tells me there is an incompatible driver in my config.sys file.
>I've tried disabling all the devices in the config.sys file.
>Here is what I have:
>
>files = 30
>buffers = 10
>device =C:\dos\himem.sys
>shell =C:\command.com C:\ /e:320 /p
>device =C:\dos\dmdrvr.bin
>device =C:\dos\ansi.sys
>device =C:\dos\fastbios.sys
>device =C:\util\vga\rambios.sys
>device =C:\dos\smartdrv.sys 2048 512
>device =C:\mouse1\mouse.sys
>
>And here is my autoexec.bat file:
>
>prompt $p$g
>PATH =C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINWORD;C:\DOS;C:\UTIL;C:\UTIL\BATCH;C:\UTIL\EC;
>C:\UTIL\NORTON;C:\QDOS;D:\;D:\TOOLBOOK;D:\ARCHIVE
>sa bright white on blue
>c:\UTIL\TSR\mapmem
>set TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
>win
>

>Any suggestions?

I think your problem is "dmdrvr.bin". This is a third party disk management
utility to allow using disks > 1024 cylinders and/or > 32 Mb partitions.

Windows 3.0 has difficulty with these, particularly with permanent swap files.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254