[comp.windows.ms] Any PowerPoint users out there?

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (08/22/90)

Hi.  My branch has been using Harvard Graphics for a couple of years and
I'm not too thrilled with it.  I have been unable to import our company
logo into it so that we can add it to our slides.  I now have version
2.3 which allows me to import Lotus PIC files, but it works very poorly.
The image becomes garbled.  It's also limited to 200 vectors!  What a
joke!  I'm also slowly moving my users to Win3, so I'm curious about
Microsoft's PowerPoint.

Has anyone used PowerPoint with Win3?  How does it compare to Harvard
Graphics?

TIA,

Marshall
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (08/30/90)

In article <marshall.651274106@wind55>, marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
> Hi.  My branch has been using Harvard Graphics for a couple of years and
> I'm not too thrilled with it.
> Has anyone used PowerPoint with Win3?  How does it compare to Harvard
> Graphics?

I have played with Powerpoint.  It looks great.  It seems easy to use.
But I have not produced a presentation with it, and have no experience
with Harvard.  BUT ....

A good friend of mine, formerly a Harvard user, raves about Powerpoint
on the Mac.  I've seen a couple of his presentations and must admit I
was impressed --- very.  So far as I know, Microsoft simply ported the
Mac version to Windows 3.0, in keeping with their multi-platform
strategy (Winword is basically MacWord Plus).  If you're moving your
people to Windows anyway, I'd say the decision to move to Powerpoint
is in the bag.

Tony Brich

cave@randvax.UUCP (Jonathan Cave) (08/30/90)

I use Power Point extensively and love it.  It's great to be able to
clip pix from Excel, text from WFW, etc, and manipulate (resize, etc.)
them in PP, and the 3 views are very convenient.  One warning: it ships
with a coupon for a "free" (=$4.50) PC <-> Mac translator, but what you
get is a 3.5" mac floppy.  It seems the translator lives on a Mac, and
must therefore accompany any briefings you send to mac.colleagues, or you
must take the initiative in giving it to them.  I have not tried shipping
a .ppt file over the net to a Mac yet.  Can anyone tell me if this works?
(I know that Excel spreadsheets can make the jump if saved as SLK files).

Can anyone recommend a Win3 graphics prog. that does 3-d graphs from
Excel s'sheets?

reedj@hplsla.HP.COM (Reed Jacobsen) (09/06/90)

Has anybody tried "Charisma" from Micrographix.  It's supposed to do
most of what PowerPoint does, plus a lot better drawing tools.  PC Mag
had a review that seemed pretty positive, but it's hard to tell from
that.

I've used PowerPoint a little bit.  It's been somewhat tricky getting
it to work the way we would like.  For example, in order to import an
outline from WinWord, you have to save the Word file in RTF format.  We
really like being able to include all the graphics for a presentation
into one file.  I'd just like to know more about Charisma before making
a final decision.

Reed Jacobson
reedj@hplsla.HP.COM