[comp.windows.ms] Linker for SDK 3.0 ???

mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (09/05/90)

I have the SDK for Windows 3.0, but have been unable to compile any of
the sample programs with MS C 5.1.  It seems the linker I have is unable
to do the linking.

I have the linker which came with MS C 5.1, as well as MASM.  Neither
work (they are the same).  The banner for this linker is:

Microsoft Overlay Linker.......

I have been told that the linker which works is:

Microsoft Segmented-Executable Linker....

but I've been unable to locate a copy.  Microsoft is of completely no help,
which is kind of discouraging considering the bucks my company has shelled
out for all the various development tools.

Any pointers would be of enormous help, and greatly appreciated!

				-Dave

Dave "mr question" McIntyre     |      "....say you're thinking about a plate
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu      |       of shrimp.....and someone says to
office : 518-276-8633		|	you 'plate,' or 'shrimp'......"

mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (09/05/90)

I got the pointer I needed.  The MS Segmented-Executable linker can be found
on the OS/2 tools disk of MASM.

Many thanks to those who helped!!

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (09/05/90)

In article <=?}%LH&@rpi.edu> mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) writes:
>I have the linker which came with MS C 5.1, as well as MASM.  Neither
>work (they are the same).  The banner for this linker is:
>
>Microsoft Overlay Linker.......
>
>I have been told that the linker which works is:
>
>Microsoft Segmented-Executable Linker....
>
>but I've been unable to locate a copy.  Microsoft is of completely no help,

The first time I remember seeing "Microsoft Segmented-Executable
Linker" was when I started using 6.0.  I don't have any copies of 5.1
left installed, or I'd check.  I do know they are constantly fixing
things they don't tell you about. (eg. non-reentrant printf,
recognizing network drives, ...)  I purchased the Quick-C 2.0 upgrade
on a whim, and was glad I did, just for its improved linker.

				  Eric Pilger
				  NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

mattm@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Matthew C Mossholder) (09/06/90)

	Actually, there is a copy of the Windows linker provided on either
one of the Quick C or MSC 5.1 disks under the name of "LINK4.EXE". Since
QC comes with MSC, it should be there with either package. However, the
linker is ALSO supposed to come with the SDK... so if you are thinking
to create Windows programs just by having the linker, you are gonna
be out of luck... there is a whole 'nother set of .LIB files in the
SDK that you need too (sheesh, they make it hard to write even "hello
world", don't they?)
					Matt Mossholder