[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 kick's out on my system...

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (08/28/90)

hi,

	i just recently upgraded by disk subsystem from a 40M st251-1
with a 2f/2hd Adaptek controller to an 80M st296n and a WD 7000-Fasst2
controller.  my problem is that windows will not load properly with the
new disk sub-system.  windows seems to install correctly but won't run
again after you exit installation.  attempts to run produce a flurry of
disk activity followed by the windows logo followed by more disk activity
a video change mode, a little more disk then a return to dos prompt.

btw, i have a logitech bus mouse that i've tried installing both as a
microsoft mouse and as a logitech mouse, both worked during install. i've
also tried running with and without smartdrv enabled but still no dice...

if anyone out there has experienced similar problems and would like to offer
commiseration :) or maybe a solution, a follow-up or email response would
be appreciated...

thanks

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (08/28/90)

	oh, some new discoveries reguarding this problem:

	Windows 3.0 will load in real and standard modes but not
in 386 enhanced mode.  since i have a 386 (sx) with 4 Megs of memory
i would like to be able to use enhanced mode,  i've used it suceesfully
before, and with the faster disk system, i'd like to be able to use the
virtual memory again...

again, thanks,

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff
                                                dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu
--- Assassination is the highest form of public service ---

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (08/28/90)

	another followup:  even in standard mode i suffer from an
over abundance of 'unrecoverable application errors', currently i
running terminal from windows, i'ts the ONLY thing i'm running,
program manager suffered the above error!

again, appreciation...

--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff
                                                dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu
--- Assassination is the highest form of public service ---

prk@planet.bt.co.uk (Peter Knight) (08/28/90)

For some reason, if I try to load Win 3.0 in enhanced mode, I must be
in a directory other than the boot drives root directory.  The symptoms
I get are different, so I don't know if this will help

Peter Knight
BT Research

#include <std.disclaimer>

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (08/29/90)

In article <*6-%Y?#@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:
>hi,
>
>	i just recently upgraded by disk subsystem from a 40M st251-1
>with a 2f/2hd Adaptek controller to an 80M st296n and a WD 7000-Fasst2
>controller.  my problem is that windows will not load properly with the
>new disk sub-system.  windows seems to install correctly but won't run
>again after you exit installation.  attempts to run produce a flurry of
>disk activity followed by the windows logo followed by more disk activity
>a video change mode, a little more disk then a return to dos prompt.
>
>btw, i have a logitech bus mouse that i've tried installing both as a
>microsoft mouse and as a logitech mouse, both worked during install. i've
>also tried running with and without smartdrv enabled but still no dice...
>
>if anyone out there has experienced similar problems and would like to offer
>commiseration :) or maybe a solution, a follow-up or email response would
>be appreciated...

Without sounding like a push for the Adaptec AHA 1542 controller, I have heard
that it may be a better controller, mainly because of problems with the WD
SCSI controller.

I know for a fact that the Adaptec works fins with all my software, including
Win 3.0 in all modes and also with a permanent swap file.

My advice is to return the WD and get an Adaptec.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

jdg@neptune.sisd.kodak.com (Jeff Gortatowsky CUST) (08/29/90)

read the sysini.txt files (sysini2.txt sysini3.txt).  there's
a reference to setting a switch which is something like
VirtualHDIrq=no, or something like that.  i don't have my
system in front of me but this worked on a 386DX/20mhz system
with an Adaptec 1542A and a CDC Wren IV.
--
Jeff Gortatowsky-Eastman Kodak Company  .....uunet!atexnet!kodak!sisd!jdg
(716)-726-0084

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (08/29/90)

In a recent article dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:

>	i just recently upgraded by disk subsystem from a 40M st251-1
>with a 2f/2hd Adaptek controller to an 80M st296n and a WD 7000-Fasst2
>controller.  my problem is that windows will not load properly with the
>new disk sub-system.  windows seems to install correctly but won't run
>again after you exit installation.  attempts to run produce a flurry of
>disk activity followed by the windows logo followed by more disk activity
>a video change mode, a little more disk then a return to dos prompt.

There's a note in the README file for WIN3 which calls for you to
change the [386enh] section of SYSTEM.INI if you have a SCSI hard
disk which uses DMA.  The change is to add the line:

   VirtualHDIRQ=FALSE

anywhere in the section.  Also, it requires that you use SmartDrive
WITHOUT specifying the /B- option.  See line 773ff of README.TXT.

Of course, this may be a necessary but not sufficient solution.  I was
repeatedly told to make this change while I was pounding on Microsoft
to find a way to make the CD-ROM they marketed work under WIN3.  It
turned out that the problem was that their vendor (Denon America) had
changed the driver and shipped new copies to internal Microsoft sites
but hadn't ever bothered to inform users in the field...and when they
did the documentation was wrong.  The symptoms I saw suggest that
the change to SYSTEM.INI could be what you need, especially since the
problem occurs only in 386 enhanced mode, but you might also check
with WD to see if they have a new driver for WIN3 users.

Joe Morris

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (08/30/90)

	reguarding the 386enh problem:  the problem lies in
configuration, not hardware, so the wd 7000-fasst2 scsi
controller works fine.  the major problem is that windows
setup (install) like to place its drivers ahead of the sst
drivers in config.sys; you need to make the modifications by
hand to correct for this.  other than that cdp, the people
how supplied the software drivers for sst, recommend you use
the /w /oi /b switches on the sstbio.sys driver and also recommend
that you don't use smartdrv.sys.

	anyhow, the scsi controller works fine, it's the people who
document the software that are broken :)

--

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (08/31/90)

In article <N6=%^$=@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:

>	reguarding the 386enh problem:  the problem lies in
>configuration, not hardware, so the wd 7000-fasst2 scsi
>controller works fine.  the major problem is that windows
>setup (install) like to place its drivers ahead of the sst
>drivers in config.sys; you need to make the modifications by
>hand to correct for this.  other than that cdp, the people
>how supplied the software drivers for sst, recommend you use
>the /w /oi /b switches on the sstbio.sys driver and also recommend
>that you don't use smartdrv.sys.
>
>	anyhow, the scsi controller works fine, it's the people who
>document the software that are broken :)

And of course this wouldn't have happened with an Adaptec 1542 since it does
not require drivers.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

us277492@mmm.serc.3m.com (Arthur T. Manning) (09/05/90)

I had my HP QS/20 working for about two weeks.  I was happily running
in enhanced mode, using dos shell windows, starting up telnet sessions
to our Sun-Unix system (Wintcp ethernet board), and generally running
just fine.

Then one day (last Thursday) I decided to try to  use the Logitech Scanman
hand scanner, and attempt to use there windows 2 version demo recompiled
using our windows SDK.  I don't know if this was the cause of the problem,
but it was unable to startup shortly therafter.  It behaves just as
described: Windows 3.0 Logo, pause, then DOS prompt in the upper left
corner.  It starts up just fine in standard mode (win /s).  I am using
a logitech trackball as well.

What's so puzzling about this is that it was WORKING just fine for a few
weeks, and now it decides it cannot run in enhanced mode!  I have
re-installed Windows several times in case something got closed
improperly, but to no avail :(.

I called Microsoft, and talked to a guy named Khoa for about 2 hours, and
they came to the conclusion that it must have something to do with BIOS,
but I checked all the revision numbers, and they are all current (I
purchased the thing only two months ago).

Is there a debug switch somewhere for windows?  This bug is really giving
me grief, and not even Microsoft seems to have the solution.

Arthur T. Manning   atmanning@mmm.serc.3m.com                 /
  3M Center 518-1                                       \____/_________
  St Paul MN  55144-1000                              __ ,  /  _ __ __  \

us277492@mmm.serc.3m.com (Arthur T. Manning) (09/06/90)

OK, I tried deleting all windows files, and re-installing from scratch, and
It didn't work.  I also tried the VirtualHDIRQ=FALSE switch in system.ini,
and still nothing.  I'm beginning to suspect a hardware problem, but how
do I convince anyone that that's the problem when the only evidence is that
windows 3.0 bombs?

So since I was getting desperate, I even REFORMATTED the C: drive!  Would
you believe that even this didn't work!?  I now have a bare bones QS/20
and I even disconnected the bournoulli disk and removed the driver in
config.sys.

Are there any programs out there that test the functionality of the PC in
enhanced mode (like a few benchmark routines)?  I have a call in to
in-company service to hopefully swap out parts one at a time until the
thing works.  This seems really stupid to have to do, but what other choice
do I have?