[comp.windows.ms] HELP! Can't Install Win3.0 on Novell 2.12SFT

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (09/04/90)

When I run the SETUP program on a AST 286 with a Paradise VGA 16Plus and a
Earthcard ARCNET card connected to our Novell 2.12SFT network, it cannot copy
win.ini from the installed copy on the server.

I've installed the 3.01 Windows version of the Netware shells.

I've attempted installions with the shared files on network drives F: and G:

I've tried with no TSR, and empty autoexec.bat and config.bat files.

I've tried with Novell's replacement file installed to solve possible problems
with IRQ2 conflects.

I've called Microsoft and talked to a real person, and listened to their
recorded information system.

I've called Novell and they suggested I call my installer - but I've been unable
to get an answer.

HELP!  Has anyone installed Windows 3.0 on a Novell network?

|  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro        |
|  USnail: P.O. Box 3972, La Mesa, California  92044, United States of America|
|  mil : crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and work: (619) 571-1222                     |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces       |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (09/06/90)

In article <4249@crash.cts.com> victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) writes:

>HELP!  Has anyone installed Windows 3.0 on a Novell network?

Yes, I've installed Windows 3.0 onto our file server, running
Advanced NetWare 286 v2.15 (not absolutely sure of version).
We have a small token ring 16Mbps, I had to shgen Windows 3.0
compatible IPX.COM and NETx.COM programs, and install a slew of
replacement Netware commands such as FLAG.EXE, LOGIN.EXE and the
like.  About 15 programs were replaced in all.  The docs with
the fix package mentioned it was to support a 'fake root',
which is evidently required by Windows and a number of other
packages.  Once this was done, I simply created a SYS:APPS/WINDOWS
directory and ran setup off drive A: on my PS/2 workstation.
I had *no* difficulty installing the Windows and it is running
just fine on our LAN.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art