[comp.windows.ms] Scheduler applications for Windows 3.0

kinsellaj@ul.ie (09/04/90)

I've been immediately and strongly impressed by SIDEKICK Plus from Borland - in
particular, the Time Planner utility. For those who don't know, it integrates
calendar, appointment book and scheduler VERY neatly. It allows me to set up all
my appointments (mainly lectures/seminars occuring at the same place & time each
week) painlessly and have an alarm & popup message appear at the appropriate
time.

Why am I telling you this? SK+ doesn't work (as a scheduler) under Windows 3. As
a TSR program it gets handled by "MicroSoft's TSR handling utility" (or
whatever) which seems to prevent the application from issuing an alarm when
minimised to an icon - or in fact in any situation other than full screen mode -
which of course defeats the purpose of a popup alarm.

Do Borland have a version for Windows 3? Is there a Windows application which
has similar functionality to the SK+ Time Planner?

I've tried Microsoft Windows Almanac V0.94 (Len Gray - Impact Software) but
despite being a very neat calendar utility it doesn't integrate the daily
scheduler/alarm with the weekly/monthly calendar. In particular there is no way
to set up recurring (daily/weekly/monthly) appointments (WITH ALARMS). The
Asymetrix Toolbook/Daybook supplied with Windows 3 has NO alarm facility.

I'm even willing to PAY for a suitable scheduler!

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (09/06/90)

In article <6619@ul.ie> kinsellaj@ul.ie writes:
>I've been immediately and strongly impressed by SIDEKICK Plus from Borland- in
>particular, the Time Planner utility. For those who don't know, it integrates
>calendar, appointment book and scheduler VERY neatly.It allows me to set up all
>my appointments (mainly lectures/seminars occuring at the same place &time each
>week) painlessly and have an alarm & popup message appear at the appropriate
>time.

>Do Borland have a version for Windows 3? Is there a Windows application which
>has similar functionality to the SK+ Time Planner?

	You might want to try the Desktop Set from Okna Corp.  It is a nice
	program with a well-designed user interface.  It has an advanced mode
	where the window border can be removed.  I received a free demo disk
	from them.  You can contact them at the address below to see if they
	still have demo disks.  It was reviewed the the Jan 30, 1990 issue
	of PC Magazine.

			Okna Corporation
			P.O. Box 522
			Lyndhurst, NJ 07071