[comp.windows.ms] Background file xfers

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (09/05/90)

I just bought Crosstalk 1.0 for windows. While doing background
file transfers, I find that foreground activity causes file
transfer activity to periodically seize, leading to timeouts
and file transfer aborting. Is there any way to overcome this ?
(Short of using a real operating system)

-jaz

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (09/07/90)

In article <1833@abvax.UUCP> jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
>I just bought Crosstalk 1.0 for windows. While doing background
>file transfers, I find that foreground activity causes file
>transfer activity to periodically seize, leading to timeouts
>and file transfer aborting. Is there any way to overcome this ?
>(Short of using a real operating system)

I noticed that when I was looking at Unicom...that is the main reason I'm
still using DSZ for file transfers.  DOS Tasks get their timeslice, no
matter what, while Windows tasks wait around for other things to finish
before they do their thing.  Also, nothing compares to MS-Kermit for
terminal emulation.  Alas...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (09/08/90)

In article <1833@abvax.UUCP>, jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
Jack> I just bought Crosstalk 1.0 for windows. While doing background
Jack> file transfers, I find that foreground activity causes file
Jack> transfer activity to periodically seize, leading to timeouts and
Jack> file transfer aborting. Is there any way to overcome this ?
Jack> (Short of using a real operating system)

You may want to increase the size of your COM port buffers in the
SYSTEM.INI file (I think it is documented in one of the TXT
supplemental files). This seems to have helped my situation out. I
would also guess that using a protocal like zmodem that doesn't have
to send acknowledgements after every packet (am I right about this
guys) may also help.

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +