[comp.windows.ms] Still looking... Good Win 3.0 Comm program.

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (08/25/90)

I have earlier  pointed out shortcomings of Win3 Terminal, WinQVT.

I then went and plunked $256 (with tax) for Microphone II. Alas it
dies with a 'unrecoverble App Error' when I use vi. [Tech support at
Software Ventures confirmed the reverse-line-feed bug in the program]
Lack of online help and a cryptic scripting language were also a
drawback. I did not get to try their 'Watch Me'(R) self learning
scripting tool though.

My local store was out of CrossTalk for Windows... I will be getting
it soon. Anyone have experience with it under Win3. Does it use the
16550? I know no auto-learn in CT. How easy is the scripting language?
How good is the vt100 emulation?

Thank you for your time!

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445
      | {ames decwrl apple pyramid sun uunet}!amdcad!indra
      | MS 167; Box 3453; 901, Thompson Pl., Sunnyvale, CA 94088

AJBQC@CUNYVM (08/28/90)

Crosstalk MK4 for windows is gr8.  When you define PFKEYS it makes them into
little boxes that you can click on the screen.  You can also name them what
ever you want.

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug25.160852.25287@amd.com> indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:

>My local store was out of CrossTalk for Windows... I will be getting
>it soon. Anyone have experience with it under Win3. Does it use the
>16550? I know no auto-learn in CT. How easy is the scripting language?
>How good is the vt100 emulation?

I don't remember the previous message, so I may be covering a terminal program
that has already been covered.  I'm using DynaComm (as a matter of fact, I'm
using it right now) on both a Unix machine and on CompuServe.  I like it a
lot.  The Scripting language isn't too bad (I didn't have the manual for
the script language, so I used another script and modified it for my
purposes).  For CompuServe it's great because it supports the Compuserve
B protocol for downloading.  It also happens to be one of the rare packages
that supports the combios (for use with network modems).

FutureSoft (the same guys that make the current Terminal) make the program
and should be listed in your application reference guide if you want a #.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (08/28/90)

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes:

> ...               I'm using DynaComm (as a matter of fact, I'm
>using it right now) on both a Unix machine and on CompuServe.  I like it a
>lot.  The Scripting language isn't too bad (I didn't have the manual for
>the script language, so I used another script and modified it for my
>purposes).  For CompuServe it's great because it supports the Compuserve
>B protocol for downloading.  It also happens to be one of the rare packages
>that supports the combios (for use with network modems).

>FutureSoft (the same guys that make the current Terminal) make the program
>and should be listed in your application reference guide if you want a #.

All this sounds great, but ...

The current Terminal is broken outside the US, i.e. it does not
work with non US keyboards. I reported this in a previos message.
Does DynaComm behave similar?

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

daven@svc.portal.com (08/29/90)

In article <90239.145745AJBQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> AJBQC@CUNYVM writes:
>Crosstalk MK4 for windows is gr8.  When you define PFKEYS it makes them into
>little boxes that you can click on the screen.  You can also name them what
>ever you want.

Geez, just about every comm package for Windows does this.

Dave Newman

Dave Newman - Sofware Ventures        | daven@svc.portal.com | AppleLink: D0025
Berkeley, CA  (415) 644-3232          | AOL: MicroPhone      | CIS: 76004,2161

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (08/29/90)

In article <3259@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>>FutureSoft (the same guys that make the current Terminal) make the program
>>and should be listed in your application reference guide if you want a #.
>
>All this sounds great, but ...
>
>The current Terminal is broken outside the US, i.e. it does not
>work with non US keyboards. I reported this in a previos message.
>Does DynaComm behave similar?

Terminal is not only broken outside US, but inside US too!! It drops
characters arbitarily and its vt100 emulation is pitiful. The poor thing
gets so confused that it becomes unusable. [eg. try using talk in UNIX
while logged in using vt100 from Terminal and watch the fun.] And the
9600 baud limit is also unacceptable.

Oh well... Terminal bashing is easy!

--

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/29/90)

In article <3259@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>The current Terminal is broken outside the US, i.e. it does not
>work with non US keyboards. I reported this in a previos message.
>Does DynaComm behave similar?

Unfortunatly I can't say.  I'm using DynaComm with a US keyboard set.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (09/08/90)

I'm running kermit 3.02, both with and without Windows 3.0, and it's
just great.  I even run it in place of my old Telnet application
across our ethernet, using the command

	set port telapi nn.nn.nn.nn

where telapi is the telnet applications programming interface on our
TCP/IP software (Excelan LAN Workplace for DOS), and nn.nn.nn.nn is the
ethernet address of a local host.

To get it going under Windows, I just created a simple PIF (mainly the
defaults, with appropriate start-up directory and program command line).
A very nice comm package!  And even with source, for real customization.
Can't beat it with a stick.
--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov