[comp.windows.ms] Non-Win3.0 Applications and 640K barrier ?

michal@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Merlin The Magician) (09/04/90)

 This is probably very naive, but is it true that win 3.0 when
running non-windows applications cannot use memory beyond 640k for
those applications ? I have tried unsuccessfully to run Kermit and
MicroEmacs at the same time (386 enhanced mode). The windows
applications are smart enough to use mem beyond 640.
 My gut feeling is that the only way to increase memory for those
applications is to romove as much junk from config.sys and
autoexec.bat (like tsr and device drv) or put those into high mem.
 Please correct me if I am wrong. If such is the case, I would
appreciate pointers on how to put the drivers into high mem  in order
to maximize the low memory.
 My primary reason for getting windows was the 386 enhanced mode. The
multitasking if you insist. It all works well, and as well as I have
probably expected it to work. The glitch seems to be the non-windows
applications still stuck < 640K !
 Where can I find win 3.0 shareware ? (ftp).
--
Merlin [The Magician] (AKA Michal Chmielewski)
US Mail: Academic Computing Services, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/05/90)

In article <25405.26e37c81@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> michal@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Merlin The Magician) writes:

> This is probably very naive, but is it true that win 3.0 when
>running non-windows applications cannot use memory beyond 640k for
>those applications ? I have tried unsuccessfully to run Kermit and
>MicroEmacs at the same time (386 enhanced mode). The windows
>applications are smart enough to use mem beyond 640.
> My gut feeling is that the only way to increase memory for those
>applications is to romove as much junk from config.sys and
>autoexec.bat (like tsr and device drv) or put those into high mem.
> Please correct me if I am wrong. If such is the case, I would
>appreciate pointers on how to put the drivers into high mem  in order
>to maximize the low memory.
> My primary reason for getting windows was the 386 enhanced mode. The
>multitasking if you insist. It all works well, and as well as I have
>probably expected it to work. The glitch seems to be the non-windows
>applications still stuck < 640K !
> Where can I find win 3.0 shareware ? (ftp).

Any particular non-windows application is still bound by the limitations of
DOS and therefore can only run in a virtual '86 window using that capability
of the 386 architecture. The amount of memory actually available is roughly
the same as it was before windows was started. Loading drivers and TSR's into
high memory will help to give more for each window.

You can however have as many of these virtual windows open at once based upon
your total memory. I routinely open 5+ such windows using my 386-35 with 8Meg
of ram.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

steve@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Steve Mitchell) (09/08/90)

A good way to push those nasty memory hogs up into hi memory
is with Quarterdeck's _new_ QEMM, version 5.1 (I think).  They
re-hacked it to cohabitate with Windows 3.0
--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov