[comp.windows.ms] Excessive Corel-Draw Upgrade Price

mcadoo @ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) (08/28/90)

Dear Windows-3 Drawers,

"BEWARE COREL DRAW. Very Expensive Upgrade".

I was a happy user of Corel-Draw v1.1 but I was told that I needed to upgrade
to Corel-Draw version 1.2 to use Windows-3.

Even though there is minimum added functionality in this upgrade, apart from
being compatible with windows-3, I was quoted a price of $859 including tax for
this upgrade by 'Software Solutions Benelux' the Dutch Importer. This includes
the actual upgrade fee plus a Penalty Fee, because I originally purchased
Corel-Draw in the USA via mail-order (before Software Solutions had the
Importer-ship).

As the current USA mail-order price is around $330, I think Corel-Draw are
charging restrictive prices for their proprietary software. I will now consider
purchasing another Presentation-Graphics package for windows, as I do not
support this type of 'monopoly' policy.

Reading in Byte Reviews, other packages equally as good, are :-
Micrografx/Designer-3, Harvard Graphics, Microsoft/Powerpoint.

Have other companies charged such ridiculous upgrade fees ?

ps. DO NOT BUY COREL_DRAW unless you want to continually pay exorbitant prices.

 _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

Alan McAdoo                     Internet: mcadoo@ijsapl.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:   ...decwrl!ijsapl.enet!mcadoo
Europalaan 44			Compuserve Id : 100016,1632
Utrecht, Holland

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

andrzej@bcars268.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (08/29/90)

In article <278@uninet.vbo.dec.com>, mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan
McAdoo) writes:

|>Reading in Byte Reviews, other packages equally as good, are :-
|>Micrografx/Designer-3, Harvard Graphics, Microsoft/Powerpoint.

I did not try PowerPoint for Windows, but I know PowerPoint for MAC, and
it IS excellent (for presentation graphics, though; it is not a paint
program; I used it also for preparing figures for papers and reports).
It costs only half the price of CorelDraw.

I should support Corel, since they are fellows Canadians and work across
the street, but I agree that one ought to fight monopolists who think
they are the only ones. No, they are not.

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej
BitNet:  andrzej@BNR.CA
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,    Phone: (613) 763-2259
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7         Fax:   (613) 763-3283

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (08/29/90)

In article <278@uninet.vbo.dec.com> mcadoo@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) writes:

>I was a happy user of Corel-Draw v1.1 but I was told that I needed to upgrade
>to Corel-Draw version 1.2 to use Windows-3.

>Even though there is minimum added functionality in this upgrade, apart from
>being compatible with windows-3, I was quoted a price of $859 including tax for
>this upgrade by 'Software Solutions Benelux' the Dutch Importer. This includes
>the actual upgrade fee plus a Penalty Fee, because I originally purchased
>Corel-Draw in the USA via mail-order (before Software Solutions had the
>Importer-ship).

	This to me sounds like you are having problems with the importer and
	not with Corel Systems.  How much is the Penalty FEE?

	I believe that here is the states the upgrade price was well below
	$100.  Recent purchases were free to upgrade.  $859 sounds like a
	lot of money since the list price for Corel-Draw is $500 (US) and it
	can be purchased mail-order for $300.

	I would recommend calling Corel-Draw in the US and complaining to
	them.

	Hope this helps.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

pfeifer@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Mark Pfeifer) (08/29/90)

>/ hpavla:comp.windows.ms / mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) / 10:50 am  Aug 28, 1990 /
>Dear Windows-3 Drawers,
>
>"BEWARE COREL DRAW. Very Expensive Upgrade".
>
>Even though there is minimum added functionality in this upgrade, apart from
>being compatible with windows-3, I was quoted a price of $859 including tax for
>this upgrade by 'Software Solutions Benelux' the Dutch Importer. This includes
>the actual upgrade fee plus a Penalty Fee, because I originally purchased
>Corel-Draw in the USA via mail-order (before Software Solutions had the
>Importer-ship).
>
>ps. DO NOT BUY COREL_DRAW unless you want to continually pay exorbitant prices.

I don't understand this.  You may want to call Corel Draw.  The official
"direct from Corel" upgrade price is $99 (US).  Purchasers after a certain
date (March, I think) pay only the $10 shipping/handling.  Maybe Corel can
help this situation.

							Mark

cb@sequoia.execu.com (Christopher D. Brown) (08/29/90)

In article <278@uninet.vbo.dec.com> mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) writes:
>Dear Windows-3 Drawers,
>
>"BEWARE COREL DRAW. Very Expensive Upgrade".
[deleted]
>ps. DO NOT BUY COREL_DRAW unless you want to continually pay exorbitant prices.
[deleted]
>Alan McAdoo                     Internet: mcadoo@ijsapl.enet.dec.com
>Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:   ...decwrl!ijsapl.enet!mcadoo
>Europalaan 44			Compuserve Id : 100016,1632
>Utrecht, Holland

I TAKE EXCEPTION!

Corel-Draw is an exceptional product providing robust, concise functionality and
backed by the best telephone support staff I have ever encountered.  If the
Dutch importer, Software Solutions Benelux, is a lousy company we ought to

   1) inform Corel Systems proposing that they "fire" the importer and

   2) refuse to do business with Software Solutions Benelux.

I would not be surprised if a letter to Corel Systems got you a free upgrade.

Chris
--
Christopher D. Brown

Digital: {uunet|cs.utexas.edu}!execu!cb
Analog: (512) 327-7070
Physical: Execucom, 108 Wild Basin Road, Two Wild Basin, Austin, TX 78764

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (08/29/90)

Alan McAdoo <mcadoo@ijsapl.dec.com> writes:
> I was a happy user of Corel-Draw v1.1 but I was told that I needed to
> upgrade to Corel-Draw version 1.2 to use Windows-3.  Even though there is
> minimum added functionality in this upgrade, apart from being compatible
> with windows-3, I was quoted a price of $859 including tax for this upgrade
> by 'Software Solutions Benelux' the Dutch Importer. This includes the
> actual upgrade fee plus a Penalty Fee, because I originally purchased
> Corel-Draw in the USA via mail-order (before Software Solutions had the
> Importer-ship).

Sounds just like the Finnish software market!  Alan, did you consider getting
an upgrade directly from Corel?  They charge US$99 + postage for the upgrade
from 1.1 to 1.2; since you bought the original one in the US, they should be
willing to upgrade directly as well.  Call them and tell them (1) why you
bought it mail-order and (2) what SSB wants to charge you.  They are usually
quite helpful.  Call +1 613 728 8200 after about 13:00 GMT...

> As the current USA mail-order price is around $330, I think Corel-Draw are
> charging restrictive prices for their proprietary software.

Again, this is Software Solutions Benelux, not Corel, charging exorbitant
prices for software and upgrades.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (08/29/90)

In article <278@uninet.vbo.dec.com> mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) writes:
[...]
>Reading in Byte Reviews, other packages equally as good, are :-
>Micrografx/Designer-3, Harvard Graphics, Microsoft/Powerpoint.

 As a satisfied user, I would also add Arts & Letters.  Their upgrade
 was $75.  It's is definitely in the same league as Micrografx Designer
 and Corel Draw.

reedj@hplsla.HP.COM (Reed Jacobsen) (08/30/90)

I called Corel in Canada to ask about the upgrade and they told me the
1.1 to 1.2 upgrade would cost approximately $100 (I don't remember the
exact amount).  They indicated that aside from Win3 support, the new
version includes a "far superior" bitmap autotrace function.  I haven't
ordered the upgrade yet, but $100 didn't seem exhorbitant to me.

Reed Jacobson
reedj@hplsla.HP.COM

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (08/30/90)

If I remember correctly the upgrade price was $100 plus $10 for
shipping.  (THis in the US direct from Corel)

And the upgrade price was well worth it.  The Corel Trace program
is fabulous and the ability to access the extra memory made a big
difference in speed.

Just my opinion.  Get the upgrade.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (08/31/90)

mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) writes:

> Have other companies charged such ridiculous upgrade fees ?
>
> ps. DO NOT BUY COREL_DRAW unless you want to continually pay exorbitant price

I think it is extremely unfair of you to post a worldwide message explaining
the problems you are having and making Corel Draw sound very bad when they
are only problems local to you because you did not buy the product in your
own country. You have to realize that there are always drawbacks to buying
software from another country. Corel Draw is a good product and I have never
heard of the problems you are experiencing.

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (09/02/90)

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:

>mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) writes:

>> Have other companies charged such ridiculous upgrade fees ?
>>
>> ps. DO NOT BUY COREL_DRAW unless you want to continually pay exorbitant price
>>
>I think it is extremely unfair of you to post a worldwide message explaining
>the problems you are having and making Corel Draw sound very bad when they
>are only problems local to you because you did not buy the product in your
>own country. You have to realize that there are always drawbacks to buying
>software from another country.

Perhaps, but there are usually drawbacks when buying translated US
software from a local importer/subsidiary, too.

Often local versions are inferior to the original US versions, but cost
nearly twice as much, here. The German version of MS Windows is an example.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (09/03/90)

In article <3282@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>
>>mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) writes:
>
>>the problems you are having and making Corel Draw sound very bad when they
>>are only problems local to you because you did not buy the product in your
>>own country. You have to realize that there are always drawbacks to buying
>>software from another country.
>
>Perhaps, but there are usually drawbacks when buying translated US
>software from a local importer/subsidiary, too.
>
>Often local versions are inferior to the original US versions, but cost
i						   **
>nearly twice as much, here. The German version of MS Windows is an example.
>
>Wolfgang Strobl

Since CorelDraw is Canadian, there shouldn't be a problem!  (;-))
		   ********
Carl Riehm.

mcadoo @ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) (09/03/90)

    Thanks for the comments and suggestions and I have now purchased
    the UPGRADE from a retailer in Amstelveen (Holland) for $US 200.
    ($166 + tax). This retailer is not interested in the fact that I
    did not buy my Coral-Draw ver 1.1 from them.

    Remember, the Corel Dutch Importer told me that I could ONLY buy
    the Upgrade from them, not from any local retail store !

    BEFORE posting my original message I had sent three FAXs to
    Corel's International Marketing Manager, telling them the whole
    story and requesting that I be permitted to purchase directly from
    them or from a US dealer. I have only received a single (standard)
    reply, giving me the phone number of the Dutch Importer (Software
    Solutions Benelux). It was because of my frustration that I posted
    my story on the net.

    Further, I have spoken to the UK Importer and they have told me
    that the are not permitted to sell to Holland, but I could have
    purchased the Upgrade from them if I had given a UK address.

    I have purchased lots of software and have bought several
    Upgrades, (e.g. Microsoft, WP, Lattice etc).

    I repeat: "Software Solutions Benelux" charge excessive prices and
    Corel's EUROPEAN, Upgrade Policy stinks. I like, and still like
    the product.
    (I apologise to the people that think that Corel's Sales Policy or
    my personal, bad experience is not a subject for this ms-windows
    group).

    regards, ( a happy coral-draw user)
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

Alan McAdoo                     Internet: mcadoo@ijsapl.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:   ...decwrl!ijsapl.enet!mcadoo
Europalaan 44                   CompuServe: 100016,1632
Utrecht, Holland
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) (09/05/90)

mcadoo		@ijsapl.dec.com (Alan McAdoo) writes:

>"BEWARE COREL DRAW. Very Expensive Upgrade".
>Even though there is minimum added functionality in this upgrade, apart from
>being compatible with windows-3, I was quoted a price of $859 including tax for
>this upgrade by 'Software Solutions Benelux' the Dutch Importer. This includes
>the actual upgrade fee plus a Penalty Fee, because I originally purchased
>Corel-Draw in the USA via mail-order (before Software Solutions had the
>Importer-ship).

>As the current USA mail-order price is around $330, I think Corel-Draw are

>ps. DO NOT BUY COREL_DRAW unless you want to continually pay exorbitant prices.

I don't think potential users shouldbe put off buying Corel Draw because its
expensive to upgrade (& presumably buy) in Holland ....unless they're planning
on buying in Holland of course.  I would guess that the importer, not Corel Draw
is "getting greedy".

A lot of info. came out about upgrade costs when windows 3 was released -
I can't recall off hand what Corel Draw were charging (certainly not $300 let
alone $859 though!).  If you are buying software and have several choices its
probably a good idea to factor in  typical upgrade costs for the companies
concerned (ref. windows 3 articles in the various mags.).

Its interesting to note that some companies skinned their customers for
windows 3 upgrades, while others did it for free.  I think a straight windows
3 upgrade should be a freebie.  Hopefully users will take note of who is
likely to fleece them for future reference.  (Perhaps the difficulty in making
the upgrade is also an inverse measure of the quality of the code/product?)

(Std. disclaimer)

mutchler@zule.EBay (Dan Mutchler) (09/06/90)

In article <4544@zircon6.UUCP> yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) writes:

   >"BEWARE COREL DRAW. Very Expensive Upgrade".
   >Even though there is minimum added functionality in this upgrade, apart from
   >being compatible with windows-3, I was quoted a price of $859 including tax for
   >this upgrade by 'Software Solutions Benelux' the Dutch Importer. This includes
   >the actual upgrade fee plus a Penalty Fee, because I originally purchased
   >Corel-Draw in the USA via mail-order (before Software Solutions had the
   >Importer-ship).

   >As the current USA mail-order price is around $330, I think Corel-Draw are

   >ps. DO NOT BUY COREL_DRAW unless you want to continually pay exorbitant prices.

I'm not sure about your situation but we purchased Corel Draw at
Egghead software for $330, version 1.1 last October. We ordered our
upgrade to 1.2 to support Windows 3.0 and it cost $99 plus $10
shipping and handling. We had not even registered 1.1 and the Corel
folks politely faxed us a form to fill out so we could register and
upgrade at the same time.

I can't advice against Corel Draw because it has been an incredibly
useful tool and we have had no real problems with it. It was purchased
for a company that I help with their computer stuff and they have been
extremely happy.
--

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler

CC65SRAD@MIAMIU.BITNET (09/10/90)

There is a shareware utility (in the US... you may need to check on Hollands
laws) called MARK30 which will allow Windows 2 applications to function
under Windows 3 without the warning messages.  If the application will run
under Windows 3 in Standard or Enhanced mode (press OK in the warning and try)
this utility will flag it to run without the warning message.  I tried it on
a Windows 2 version of CorelDRAW! and it ran fine.
-Chris