[comp.windows.ms] Bizarre Behavior Reading Hard Disk

ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu (09/07/90)

I have a Northgate 386/20 with 2 Hard Disks - a Microscience and a
Seagate 277R both running on an Adaptec RLL controller.  My problem
occurs when performing certain functions on the Seagate (second drive) -
I get errors like Cannot Read Drive D (or something like that).  For example,
if I am in the File Manager and move files between directories on D, everthing
works fine; but if I try to copy them to C I get an error.  Outside of windows
I have no problems that I can find.  BTW, I am running MS-DOS 4.01 and have
both drives formatted to their full capacity (about 62MB) on one partition.
If anyone has heard of this problem or can think of a solution, please let
me know.  If not, I guess I'll have to call Microsoft.

                                  Thanks,
                                    Andy

ALG106 @ PSUVM : Bitnet
alg106@psuvm.psu.edu  :  Internet

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (09/10/90)

In article <90250.114334ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu> ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> I have a Northgate 386/20 with 2 Hard Disks - a Microscience and a
> Seagate 277R both running on an Adaptec RLL controller.  My problem
> occurs when performing certain functions on the Seagate (second drive) -
> I get errors like Cannot Read Drive D (or something like that).  For example,
> if I am in the File Manager and move files between directories on D, everthing
> works fine; but if I try to copy them to C I get an error.  Outside of windows
> I have no problems that I can find.  BTW, I am running MS-DOS 4.01 and have
> both drives formatted to their full capacity (about 62MB) on one partition.
> If anyone has heard of this problem or can think of a solution, please let
> me know.  If not, I guess I'll have to call Microsoft.

Try the following:

- If you're running Share.exe take it out, if not try running it.
- If you're running SmartDrive, try without it.
- Load the Adaptec auto-configuration device driver. (Go into Debug, G=c800:5
  special options menu, generate auto-config.)
Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com