[comp.windows.ms] ATI Video Driver?

daly@ecs.umass.edu (09/08/90)

Several weeks ago, I requested the MS Windows 3.0 ATI VGA WONDER 800x600
driver from the ATI phone number [ (416) 756-0718 ], but have recieved nothing
yet, although the drivers were promised to be sent in a week.  I have seen
at least one other user on the net with this problem.  I was wondering whether
anyone has actually recieved the driver as of yet?

---Bryon Daly

fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (09/09/90)

In article <10635.26e8430f@ecs.umass.edu>, daly@ecs.umass.edu writes:
> Several weeks ago, I requested the MS Windows 3.0 ATI VGA WONDER 800x600
> driver from the ATI phone number [ (416) 756-0718 ], but have recieved nothing
> yet, although the drivers were promised to be sent in a week.  I have seen
> at least one other user on the net with this problem.  I was wondering whether
> anyone has actually recieved the driver as of yet?
>
> ---Bryon Daly

Way back in May, when Win3 was first announced, I wrote ATI requesting info
on their VGA Wonder drivers. I received a reply shortly thereafter stating
that they were working on the 16-color drivers and would mail me the drivers
on disk as soon as they were available. Well, four months later I have still
not received anything from ATI. If it weren't for the net, I'd still be
running Windows with the standard VGA driver.

I bought my VGA Wonder card under the impression that ATI was a reliable and
performance-minded company. Apparently I was wrong. As far as I know, ATI is
the only major video card vendor that has yet to release a 256 color driver
for win3. Not only that, but they leave their customers in the dark as to when
these drivers will be released. I can't reach ATI by phone and their bulletin
board contains cryptic notes (i.e. "indefinately postponed") that don't help
at all.

I'm so frustrated with ATI that I would not recommend buying one of their
boards to anyone. Performance is useless without technical support.

- Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

ccastms@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael Todd Smith) (09/10/90)

In article <15920@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:

> ...  .
> I bought my VGA Wonder card under the impression that ATI was a reliable and
> performance-minded company. Apparently I was wrong. As far as I know, ATI is
> the only major video card vendor that has yet to release a 256 color driver
> for win3. Not only that, but they leave their customers in the dark as to when
> these drivers will be released. I can't reach ATI by phone and their bulletin
> board contains cryptic notes (i.e. "indefinately postponed") that don't help
> at all.
>
> I'm so frustrated with ATI that I would not recommend buying one of their
> boards to anyone. Performance is useless without technical support.
>
> - Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

Yes, I too have called ATI and gotten the "indefinately postponed " message.
I can't understand why ATI has failed to produce at least a 640x480 256
color driver.  Did they not know Windows 3.0 was coming out?  Do they not
know enough about their own hardware to write a 256 color driver for it?

Maybe I could use the 1024x768x16 driver if they made one that worked with my
version of the card (V3 - which at least 60% of ATI owners have).

I am disgusted with ATI for not keeping up with their competition. I saw
some performance Windows 2.11 but thats a dinosaur now.

My verdict is "Don't buy ATI"!!!!

--
Mike Smith		Internet: ccastms@prism.gatech.edu

			Georgia Tech User Assitance
			Office of Computing Services

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/11/90)

> Way back in May, when Win3 was first announced, I wrote ATI requesting info
> on their VGA Wonder drivers. I received a reply shortly thereafter stating
> that they were working on the 16-color drivers and would mail me the drivers
> on disk as soon as they were available. Well, four months later I have still
> not received anything from ATI. If it weren't for the net, I'd still be
> running Windows with the standard VGA driver.

Well, guess I'm a little luckier. After phoning them and left a message
that I want the ATI Windows 3.0 driver, they called me back in about
two weeks (I think). Then, the disk showed up in my mailbox about slightly
less than 2 MONTHS later  (sheesh !). Meanwhile I've been using the
driver I downloaded from SIMTEL 20.  Needless to say, I'm less than
impressed with their service.

> I bought my VGA Wonder card under the impression that ATI was a reliable and
> performance-minded company. Apparently I was wrong. As far as I know, ATI is
> the only major video card vendor that has yet to release a 256 color driver
> for win3. Not only that, but they leave their customers in the dark as to when
> these drivers will be released. I can't reach ATI by phone and their bulletin
> board contains cryptic notes (i.e. "indefinately postponed") that don't help
> at all.

That goes for me too ! I just read on the net earlier that ATI announced
that the 256 color driver is indefinitely postponed. Is there anything we
can do to get them back on track ? Get a petition ? Scream at the top of
our voice ?? :-(.

> I'm so frustrated with ATI that I would not recommend buying one of their
> boards to anyone. Performance is useless without technical support.

If I'm not tied to their mouse port. Plus the fact that their board's
performance is not bad. I would have gone out and bought the Trident's
latest 1024 x 768 x 256 color board.

I was kind of misled by one of my friend who claimed that ATI VGA Wonder
is very widely supported (he owned one ATI VGA Wonder board). Should have
gone with Trident  :-(. This is not to say that the ATI VGA Wonder is
worthless; it is still a pretty snappy board.

> - Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>