[comp.windows.ms] Micrografx Designer 3.01 and Windows 3.0

rzi@philpav.tds.philips.se (Roman Zielinski) (09/06/90)

We had  discovered some  problems with  Micrografx Designer  3.01 running under
windows 3.0.

If You create for  example an  organisational chart  (you know  boxes with text
inside) and then copy it  to the  clipboard (default  clipboard attributes) and
try to exit Designer, you will  get an  "Unexpected application  error" (do you
know about expected appl errors :-> ).  It is 100% reproducable.

If you create an org chart without text (or remove the text) and copy to the
clipboard, then exit works OK....

Does anyone know if it is a bug?  Or maybe a way around it?  Something to avoid
in designer?

Other thing seems to work (slowly but however they work)...

			Please help!

			Roman

+-------------------------------------------+           _--~--_
| tel +46 8 782 1373	                    |           |=====|
+-------------------------------------------+           |=====|
| NET ADDR:  uunet!mcsun!sunic!philpav!rzi  |           |=====|
+-------------------------------------------+		 ~~U~~

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (09/06/90)

In article <454@philpav.tds.philips.se> rzi@philpav.tds.philips.se
(Roman Zielinski) writes:
| We had discovered some problems with Micrografx Designer 3.01 running
| under windows 3.0.  If You create for example an organisational chart
| (you know boxes with text inside) and then copy it to the clipboard
| (default clipboard attributes) and try to exit Designer, you will get
| an "Unexpected application error" (do you know about expected appl
| errors :-> ).  It is 100% reproducable.

This is definitely a bug. I would give any odds that this is caused be
delayed rendering. Delayed rendering means that when you put something
in the clipboard, you don't actually put anything there, you just put
a *promise* in there. Then when somebody tries to read the clipboard,
Windows signals you to make good on your promise. This is useful when
applications (e.g. Excel) have the ability to provide the same data in
about 10 different formats. Instead of wasting memory by providing all
10 formats in the clipboard, you just issue 10 promises, and then you
only have to render those formats that are needed. The catch is that
when your application exits, windows will call in ALL the IOU's,
because it knows that you won't be around to render them any more.
So what is likely happening is that your application isn't correctly
handling render requests. Call them up and yell at them; they will
probably be glad for the bug report.

Technically, by the way, an "Unexpected Application Error" is almost
always a reference to a pointer that is outside of the program's
segments (what VAX fans call a Segmentation Error). Somebody is using
a bad pointer somewhere.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                        Talk Hard.

brad@cup.portal.com (Paul B Anders) (09/07/90)

I had the same problem. The "fix" is to use one of the Designer outline
fonts instead of the printer fonts. I am using the W3 postscript driver,
not the Micrografx postscript driver (which failed also, and would not
work at all with WfW). Don't ask me why it fails or why this fix works...

Brad
brad@cup.portal.com

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (09/07/90)

My Disk 3 of the Designer 3.01 update (1.2MB) has a bad sector in the middle
of drivers1.lzh, corrupting wfm.exe.  Since I need this file for the
Micrografx PS driver, could someone mail it to me?  Thanks a lot.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
jmerrill@hmcvax.bitnet			uunet!jarthur!jmerrill

uh@materna.uucp (Uwe Hoch) (09/11/90)

In article <26026@cs.yale.edu> spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>In article <454@philpav.tds.philips.se> rzi@philpav.tds.philips.se
>(Roman Zielinski) writes:
>| We had discovered some problems with Micrografx Designer 3.01 running
>| under windows 3.0.  If You create for example an organisational chart
>| (you know boxes with text inside) and then copy it to the clipboard
>| (default clipboard attributes) and try to exit Designer, you will get
>| an "Unexpected application error" (do you know about expected appl
>| errors :-> ).  It is 100% reproducable.
>
>This is definitely a bug. ...
>
>Joel Spolsky
>spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                        Talk Hard.

Call Micrografx. There is yet an update for Version 3.01 which solves this
problem (New Lib!). Works quite fine: No "Unexpected application errors"
any more using clipboard.

Regarding Micrografx postscript driver: At out company much better than
the original from Microsoft, even with WfW!!!

Uwe Hoch
Dr. Materna GmbH
Vosskuhle 37
D-4600 Dortmund 1