[comp.windows.ms] Sigma Color 400 - need win3 driver ...

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (09/08/90)

Subject line says it all ... unfortunately, Sigma Designs WILL NOT support this
card, so I am "stuck" with an orphan.  It can run in double scan CGA
(640x400x16), so would be quite reasonable (better than EGA) ... but without
the special driver, all I see is CGA.

Does anyone else out there have this orphan card? ... what would it take to
write a driver?

The "helpful tech support" :-( at Sigma Designs suggested I try using the
win2 drivers ... not possible I was told ... or is it?

Why don't I get a "standard" VGA? ... $ ... the cheapest I could find was
$250-300 for card & paper-white ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (09/12/90)

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com writes:

>Subject line says it all ... unfortunately, Sigma Designs WILL NOT support this
>card, so I am "stuck" with an orphan.  It can run in double scan CGA
>(640x400x16), so would be quite reasonable (better than EGA) ... but without
>the special driver, all I see is CGA.
>Does anyone else out there have this orphan card? ... what would it take to
>write a driver?
>The "helpful tech support" :-( at Sigma Designs suggested I try using the
>win2 drivers ... not possible I was told ... or is it?

Thats the reason why I won't ever buy or recommend any product by
Sigma Designs.  I used to only buy Sigma Designs products.  But I've
now accumulated a Color 400, Turbo EGA, AT Memory/IO adapter, an early
LaserView Adapter/Display, and a 60MB tape drive/controller that have
all been abandoned by Sigma Designs.  While the memory adapter and
tape drive still work in the limited context they were originally
installed in, they do not support my new hardware.  The rest of the
stuff is worthless, as Sigma won't maintain software compatibility.

Of course Sigma Designs is probably not alone in its abandonment of
loyal users, it is the only one which has cost me more than $2,000.

Not necessarily the opinion of my employer or any other living being.
Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu