[comp.windows.ms] Orchid Prodesigner II

yeh@cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) (09/12/90)

Hello,
  I would like to know how people think of this card?  I am an unfortunate
owner of an early DVGA512 card (couldn't find  win/386 or win3 drivers).  This
seems to be a good time to upgrade, having read quite a few good things (and
a few bad things, too) about win3.0.
  Specifically,  I would like to know
  o  Is 1024x768x256 interlaced/non-interlaced supported?
  o  Is it true that only an analog port is available?
  o  How's the bios?  The early DVGA bios has some bugs (eg, 800x600x256 mode).
  o  Any problems in the 16-bit mode?
  o  Any problems running it under unix?
  o  what drivers are provided?  Is os/2 driver available anywhere?
  o  Is it backward compatible with the "old versions" (like DVGA,
     prodesigner (+)...)?  I may run sco odt using it some day.
     BTW, do you know which video card is supported for odt?
  o  What is the best place to get it?  The current price seems to be ~320.
  o  Considering performace/price, would you pick this card or the wd 8514?

Phew, that's it.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Wei Jen Yeh

yeh@cs.purdue.edu
Department of Computer Science
Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana

c60c-3fz@web-2c.berkeley.edu (In Sik Rhee) (09/13/90)

In article <11663@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> yeh@cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) writes:
>Hello,
>  I would like to know how people think of this card?  I am an unfortunate
>owner of an early DVGA512 card (couldn't find  win/386 or win3 drivers).  This
>seems to be a good time to upgrade, having read quite a few good things (and
>a few bad things, too) about win3.0.
>  Specifically,  I would like to know
>  o  Is 1024x768x256 interlaced/non-interlaced supported?
>  o  Is it true that only an analog port is available?
>  o  How's the bios?  The early DVGA bios has some bugs (eg, 800x600x256 mode).
>  o  Any problems in the 16-bit mode?
>  o  Any problems running it under unix?
>  o  what drivers are provided?  Is os/2 driver available anywhere?
>  o  Is it backward compatible with the "old versions" (like DVGA,
>     prodesigner (+)...)?  I may run sco odt using it some day.
>     BTW, do you know which video card is supported for odt?
>  o  What is the best place to get it?  The current price seems to be ~320.
>  o  Considering performace/price, would you pick this card or the wd 8514?
>
>Phew, that's it.
>Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
>
>Wei Jen Yeh
>
>yeh@cs.purdue.edu
>Department of Computer Science
>Purdue University
>West Lafayette, Indiana

Well, I purchased my Orchid Pro II along with my 1304 a month ago... and I
LOVE IT... It's very fast, very reliable, and works flawlessly with
Windows 3.0 (I'm running 1024x768x256)...  I got my card for $265 (1MB)
!!!  incredible, huh?  the place I bought it from must have gotten it
direct from Orchid, because thy were selling it  below distribution price...
If I'm not mistakened, they still have the same price advertised.. email
me if you would like, and I will give you the phone #...

1) yes, it is both interlaced and non-interlaced.
2) WIndows 3.0 drivers are included  with shipment card (no hassles)
3) I doubt it if it's compatible with the + (which, by the way, is being
   discontinued, if I'm not mistaken)
4) I'd pick this card over the 8514 (I did)...  but if you have a bit
   more money, I'd go with the Hercules Graphics Station (34010, 1MB)
5) other drivers include Autocad, Ventura and a few others... OS/2 ? hmm
   I don't know... I'll have to find out, but I wouldn't be interested
   until v2.0 (OS/2) came out...
6) it has one port (15pin)
7) (for you programmers) it is compatible with an existing graphics
   adapter, (since Codeview for Windows requires that you have a dual-
   monitor system)...

CPS rating = 23,000+

yes, it's FAST...  for the money, I'd say it's the best buy in the market

anyway, I hope this helped...

NOTE: I'm in no way affiliated with Orchid, I'm just a *very* happy
      customer...