[comp.windows.ms] Multitasking in Windows with a 286

ufm2t@watt1.acc.Virginia.EDU (Usman F. Malik) (09/11/90)

I am a new Windows 3.0 user.  I have a 286-12MHz.  I was not
sure if I can run non-Windows programs in various windows with
this setup.  Is this possible?  If so, how can it be done?
Is it possible to run Windows-apps in various windows as well?
I should think so, but it has worked once and hasn't worked
another time!  Could any of you help me clear this up?  Thanks.

Usman F. Malik
usman@virginia.edu

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.182250.27958@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
ufm2t@watt1.acc.Virginia.EDU (Usman F. Malik) writes:
Usman> I am a new Windows 3.0 user.  I have a 286-12MHz.  I was not
Usman> sure if I can run non-Windows programs in various windows with
Usman> this setup.  Is this possible?  If so, how can it be done?  Is
Usman> it possible to run Windows-apps in various windows as well?

With a '286 you can only run in standard and real modes which only
allows one non-Windows application in fullscreen mode at a time. Yes
multiple Windows applications in their own windows work; just make
sure you have enough memory for the applications you start, as you
don't get thevirtual memory features of 386Enhanced mode operation.

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep10.182250.27958@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> usman@virginia.edu (Usman F. Malik) writes:
>I am a new Windows 3.0 user.  I have a 286-12MHz.  I was not
>sure if I can run non-Windows programs in various windows with
>this setup.  Is this possible?  If so, how can it be done?
>Is it possible to run Windows-apps in various windows as well?
>I should think so, but it has worked once and hasn't worked
>another time!  Could any of you help me clear this up?  Thanks.

Windows applications can multitask on any machine that runs windows. Non-
windows applications can ONLY multitask on systems that have the virtual 8086
mode, ie 80386 and 80486.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254