[comp.windows.ms] Line wrap mystery solved

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/12/90)

A while back, I posted that I was having problems with Terminal turning
on Line Wrap all by itself.  I have now found out why.  Others said they
had experienced the same problem, so I'm posting a follow-up.

I noticed that typing "tset" turned it on every time.  I looked at the
termcap entry for vt100 and it has the string "\E[?7h" in it.  That turns
on Line Wrap.  I created a new termcap entry named vt100nw and tset no
longer turns on Line Wrap.  I also had to modify the terminfo file too as
nn uses the terminfo file instead of termcap.

And all the times I swore it was a bug.  I don't remember this happening
when using Crosstalk for Windows, so I assumed it was Microsoft's
fault.  Sorry MS.  Maybe I should look at CfW more closely...
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/14/90)

Yesterday, I wrote:

>A while back, I posted that I was having problems with Terminal turning
>on Line Wrap all by itself.  I have now found out why.  Others said they
>had experienced the same problem, so I'm posting a follow-up.

>I noticed that typing "tset" turned it on every time.  I looked at the
>termcap entry for vt100 and it has the string "\E[?7h" in it.  That turns
>on Line Wrap.  I created a new termcap entry named vt100nw and tset no
>longer turns on Line Wrap.  I also had to modify the terminfo file too as
>nn uses the terminfo file instead of termcap.

>And all the times I swore it was a bug.  I don't remember this happening
>when using Crosstalk for Windows, so I assumed it was Microsoft's
>fault.  Sorry MS.  Maybe I should look at CfW more closely...

I just checked out Crosstalk for Windows.  It doesn't seem to emulate
the vt100 as well Terminal.  When tset sends the escape sequence to turn
on line wrap, Crosstalk seems to ignore it.

I guess I should call Crosstalk...
--
Marshall

		    Wood butcher and aspiring craftsman...