[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0, Netware 3.01 and Tiara Problems

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (09/12/90)

I am trying to configure the following system.

A compaq 33 mhz file server with compaq 20mhz portable clients each
with 2-3mb memory.
Each has tiara network card in them.  We are running Netware 3.01,
the newest version and I must say I am very impressed with it.

We want to run win 3.0 on the clients.  Each client must have a full
version of win3 as they are used in the field.

win /r works fine.  I can connect printer servers and connect drives.
Everything behaves (except hp plotter driver which is another story).

But in 386 mode:
c: ipx
c: net3
c: win
I get some error on the initial MS windows screen about cannot connect
for find server or something with an abort or retry error !!!  Basically
nothing works.  If I hit abort, I either get shuved back to c: or
I am put in windows but any network option fails with a retry or cancel
dialog box.  What gives?  win/r works perfect.

The tiara cards run on interrupt 2.  Is this a problem.  Should
I emmexclude some memory somewhere.  The io address is 200h and the base
segment is D000h.  (What are these values anyway?)

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (09/13/90)

In article <14460@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>Each has tiara network card in them.  We are running Netware 3.01,
>the newest version and I must say I am very impressed with it.

Are you running the 3.01 SHELLS?.  You must have the latest version of the
shells (the ipx, netx part of the netware interface).

>win /r works fine.  I can connect printer servers and connect drives.
>Everything behaves (except hp plotter driver which is another story).
>
>But in 386 mode:
>c: ipx
>c: net3

You should be using either XMSNET3 or EMSNET3 instead of just net3. You will
need to have an expanded memory manager present (as in MS HIMEM.SYS), or an
extended memory manager (as in EMM386.SYS), to use these programs. These
programs will load the XXXnet3 portion of the shell into high memory.  The
MS Windows 3.0 program will look for these programs when it initializes.

You should also have configured Windows to be aware of the NETWARE network
when you ran SETUP.

You will probably have to have different .ini files for windows for running
stand alone, or networked.C

>c: winnn
>
>The tiara cards run on interrupt 2.  Is this a problem.  Should
>I emmexclude some memory somewhere.  The io address is 200h and the base
>segment is D000h.  (What are these values anyway?)

The io address is the hardware port address the netware shells will use to
talk to the tiara card.  The settings on the card must agree with the settings
you put into ipx when you generated that part of the shell.  The base segment
is a memory address that is used to transfer data to and from the card.  You
should exclude that address from windows use in the .ini file, and exclude it
from use in HIMEM.SYS or emm386.SYS.  Your windows documentation will help you
here.>

Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.124845.23549@techbook.com> kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) writes:
>In article <14460@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>Each has tiara network card in them.  We are running Netware 3.01,
>>the newest version and I must say I am very impressed with it.
>
>Are you running the 3.01 SHELLS?.  You must have the latest version of the
>shells (the ipx, netx part of the netware interface).

fyi, the latest versions (as far as I know) are:

Novell IPX/SPX v3.01 Rev. A (900507)
(C) Copyright 1985, 1990 Novell Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

and

NetWare V3.01 rev. C - XMS Workstation Shell for PC DOS V3.x
(C) Copyright 1983, 1988 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

(you can check this by running the file and specifying -i as the option.)

>>win /r works fine.  I can connect printer servers and connect drives.
>>Everything behaves (except hp plotter driver which is another story).
>>
>>But in 386 mode:
>>c: ipx
>>c: net3
>
>You should be using either XMSNET3 or EMSNET3 instead of just net3. You will
>need to have an expanded memory manager present (as in MS HIMEM.SYS), or an
>extended memory manager (as in EMM386.SYS), to use these programs. These
>programs will load the XXXnet3 portion of the shell into high memory.  The
>MS Windows 3.0 program will look for these programs when it initializes.

EMSNET3 is probably not a good idea with windows, as EMS is not available
until after you have windows running.  Note that I had some problems with
the original version (3.01, no rev) of XMSNET3.  (It would occasionally
cause windows to crash.)  The current version of XMSNET3 seems to work just
fine for me, but because of problems with the previous version, our sys-
admin has asked that it get only limited use.  NET3 (v3.01C) works just fine,
though you do get about 30k more conventional memory available when using
XMSNET3.
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com