[comp.windows.ms] TBOOK/DAYBOOK is *SLOOOOW* !

derek@ibmpcug.co.uk (Derek Jones) (09/15/90)

Have I already missed the "Isn't the bundled tbook/daybook slow"
discussion, or am I just doing it all wrong?

25 MHz 386, 4Mb RAM, Orchid Pro Des 2 (1024X768X256), Smartdrive @  1024 256
4Mb permanent swap.

Runs like treacle for me, not the graphics, the processing! E.G., After
dragging an icon to a day in the month to view, it takes *ages* before
you get control back. No disk IO appears to be going on. Same sort of thing
if you bin an item from a day.

Do I need a super-pif???

I *need* to run in 386 enhanced mode since I background DOS tasks.

M**rosoft say: "You are being held in a queue for windows 3. There are
currently more than six calls......"

... and eventually, "Er yes, run it in Standard mode...."

I've tried upping the Smartdrive params to no effect.

Any ideas??

(Please feel free to reply here, but I more frequently read my email at
another address: derek@aivru.sheffield.ac.uk  )

Thanks

Derek Jones

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

CCMK@latvax8.lat.oz (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (09/16/90)

In article <1990Sep14.203102.28968@ibmpcug.co.uk>, derek@ibmpcug.co.uk (Derek Jones) writes:
> Have I already missed the "Isn't the bundled tbook/daybook slow"
> discussion, or am I just doing it all wrong?
>
> 25 MHz 386, 4Mb RAM, Orchid Pro Des 2 (1024X768X256), Smartdrive @  1024 256
> 4Mb permanent swap.
>
> Runs like treacle for me, not the graphics, the processing! E.G., After
> dragging an icon to a day in the month to view, it takes *ages* before
> you get control back. No disk IO appears to be going on. Same sort of thing
> if you bin an item from a day.

I completely agree, it is also slow on an IBM model 70-121 (20MHZ 80386).
I have also tried a number of demonstration programs from the TOOLBOOK
people, and they are even worse.  A small clock program virtually brought
my system to a halt!

I think Toolbook has a way to go - I couldn't suggest to anyone to
buy it.

Mark Kosten,          phone: +61 3 479-2767
Computer Centre,      AARNet (internet): ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au
La Trobe University,  ACSnet: ccmk@lure.lat.oz.au
Bundoora,
Victoria 3083