[comp.windows.ms] MSC 5.5 and Win SDK 3.0??

MBT3@PSUVM.PSU.EDU ("Mike Tierney") (09/11/90)

Can you use Microsoft C version 5.5 with the Windows SDK version 3.0?  Or do
you need some special header files to allow compatibility from Microsoft?
Also, I've heard conflicting reports of special academic prices on the SDK.
Does a student discount exist for Windows Developing?  Thanks for all insights,
                                                  Mike

Mike Tierney               "Any technology without some attendant risk
<MBT3@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>        of misuse is probably trivial" - Louise Kohl

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (09/12/90)

In article <9009102138.AA18662@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MBT3@PSUVM.PSU.EDU ("Mike Tierney") writes:
>Can you use Microsoft C version 5.5 with the Windows SDK version 3.0?  Or do
>you need some special header files to allow compatibility from Microsoft?
>Also, I've heard conflicting reports of special academic prices on the SDK.
>Does a student discount exist for Windows Developing?  Thanks for all insights,

	The Windows SDK 3.0 is availiable for $250 on student discount.
	Microsoft runs just about all their software at half-price for
	students.

	I have had some problems with the header files with MS-C 5.0.  The
	manual states compatibility for MSC 5.1 and above so I would expect
	that 5.5 would work.  However, since I have not tried it it does
	not work :-)

	-----Dale
		Rogerson----

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/14/90)

In article <9009102138.AA18662@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MBT3@PSUVM.PSU.EDU ("Mike Tierney") writes:
>Can you use Microsoft C version 5.5 with the Windows SDK version 3.0?  Or do
>you need some special header files to allow compatibility from Microsoft?
>Also, I've heard conflicting reports of special academic prices on the SDK.
>Does a student discount exist for Windows Developing?  Thanks for all insights,

What is MSC 5.5? I know you can use either 5.1 or 6.0 with the SDK, but I never
heard of 5.5.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/14/90)

I didn't know there's an MSC version 5.5. I thought after 5.1 is 6.0.

;-).

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (09/16/90)

In article <18950020@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
>I didn't know there's an MSC version 5.5. I thought after 5.1 is 6.0.

Yes, there seems to be a version 5.5 and I've seen the discs around
here on someone's desk.  I think that it must have come with one of the
SDKs that we have.  Probably the OS/2 SDK.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy