[comp.windows.ms] DEICO ELECTRONICS VGA DRIVER ?

neb@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (nebojsa jaksic) (09/06/90)

-------
Hi netters,
I have a VGA card (16-bit) made by Deico Electronics. I talked to them
about Windows 3 drivers. They did not have them 2 1/2 weeks ago. They
told me that they will have them in two weeks.
Are these drivers out? How can one get them?

Did anybody had problems running windows with these VGA cards ( I can not
run windows if HIMEM.SYS is present in my config.sys - and I suspect this
is my problem)?

Thanks,

--
 Nebojsa Jaksic,Geology Dept.
 The Ohio State University; Columbus OH USA 43210

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/08/90)

> Did anybody had problems running windows with these VGA cards ( I can not
> run windows if HIMEM.SYS is present in my config.sys - and I suspect this
> is my problem)?

Just a thought. Do you use the HIMEM.SYS that comes with Windows 3.0
or an older HIMEM.SYS ? Windows 3 will not work with older HIMEM.SYS.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (09/17/90)

In article <18950017@hpfinote.HP.COM>, pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

> > Did anybody had problems running windows with these VGA cards ( I can not
> > run windows if HIMEM.SYS is present in my config.sys - and I suspect this
> > is my problem)?
> >

> Just a thought. Do you use the HIMEM.SYS that comes with Windows 3.0
> or an older HIMEM.SYS ? Windows 3 will not work with older HIMEM.SYS.

Well, I think the _new_ HIMEM.SYS (that is - the one that came with
Windows 3.0 has problems...) I have just solved one of my "hardware"
problems - Windows would not run on my i486 machine - by replacing
HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS with QEMM version 5.11. I can run Windows
in 386 Enhanced mode, and also run Windows in standard or real modes
from inside a DesqView 386 window. None of this was possible with
Windows 3.0's own HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS. One of the nice things
about this is it allows running big bad protected mode programs under
DesqView which are not runnable with Windows.

I still can't get the "create a font" example in the SDK to work
at all. Has anyone? Or better yet has anyone come up with an APL
font (union character set?)

While we're on the subject - since I have tasks that run fine under
DesqView's pre-emptive multitasking that would be painful as Windows
apps. Is it possible to write a Windows app. which would connect
other Windows Apps to the DesqView API to communicate/share data
with DesqView Apps? I would guess it would look like a device driver
in Windows...

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt