[comp.windows.ms] comm conflicts in enhanced mode

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/07/90)

I have two DOS apps, qmodem and kermit (the non-window one) that I
like to use together. I get qmodem to dial the phone for me and
go through the complicated login process, then exit qmodem and
start kermit up. This all works fine under DOS. This does not work
if I have two Win3 enhanced mode full screen windows, one for qmodem
and one for kermit. The problem is that when I exit qmodem and close
the window, something (Win3?) drops DTR on the modem and it hangs up.

Also, if I just leave the qmodem window alive and try to open the
kermit window, Win3 complains about a conflict on the comm port.
It asks me which app should get it but no matter which app I
select, the machine hangs.

Any suggestions?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep7.013045.13691@amd.com>,

>I have two DOS apps, qmodem and kermit (the non-window one) that I
>like to use together. I get qmodem to dial the phone for me and
>go through the complicated login process, then exit qmodem and
>start kermit up. This all works fine under DOS. This does not work
>if I have two Win3 enhanced mode full screen windows, one for qmodem
>and one for kermit. The problem is that when I exit qmodem and close
>the window, something (Win3?) drops DTR on the modem and it hangs up.

I know the problem.  I've been doing something similar with PROCOMM PLUS and
cutcp with SLIP software.  Here are two possible solutions:

  1) Write a batch file that automatically executes the second program at
     exit of the first. (In your case, run qmodem forst followed my kermit)

  2) Run qmodem first BEFORE starting up Windows.  Apparently if Windows
     does not see a Carrier Detect at the start of a process, and it IS there
     after the process ends, it drops DTR.  But if CD is high at Windows
     startup, it doesn't drop DTR ever.  Strange way of doing things.

In my case, I dial out to the SLIP connection before entering Windows, and
then when I want to use FTP or TELNET, I load the ram-resident slip device
driver and run the FTP or TELNET program, and at exit the SLIP driver gets
dropped from used memory, but the phone connection stays.

I would like to see some way of instructing Windows NOT to drop DTR, though,
so you could do something like this from within Windows.
I'll see if I can get anywhere with the Microsoft Tech's.

>Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com         {uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
-----
Daniel R. Jeuch                   Microsoft Corp. Student Rep.
10 Vario Blvd., Box 185           DRJ100@PSUVM
State College, PA  16803          drj100@psuvm.psu.edu
(814) 867-4622

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/08/90)

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>I have two DOS apps, qmodem and kermit (the non-window one) that I
>like to use together. I get qmodem to dial the phone for me and
>go through the complicated login process, then exit qmodem and
>start kermit up. This all works fine under DOS. This does not work
>if I have two Win3 enhanced mode full screen windows, one for qmodem
>and one for kermit. The problem is that when I exit qmodem and close
>the window, something (Win3?) drops DTR on the modem and it hangs up.

>Also, if I just leave the qmodem window alive and try to open the
>kermit window, Win3 complains about a conflict on the comm port.
>It asks me which app should get it but no matter which app I
>select, the machine hangs.

>Any suggestions?

Phil,

I've noticed that when I shut down Crosstalk for Windows, it tells me that I
am still connected to a computer and asks if I want to hang-up or not or
cancel and stay in XTALK.  I assume that qmodem does not give you this
option.  I have never tried to see if I could start another terminal
program though.  I guess that's just one more experiment to try.  If I
get around to it, I'll try to remember to let the net know how it went.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (09/08/90)

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>I have two DOS apps, qmodem and kermit (the non-window one) that I
>like to use together. I get qmodem to dial the phone for me and
>go through the complicated login process, then exit qmodem and
>start kermit up. This all works fine under DOS. This does not work
>if I have two Win3 enhanced mode full screen windows, one for qmodem
>and one for kermit. The problem is that when I exit qmodem and close
>the window, something (Win3?) drops DTR on the modem and it hangs up.

>Also, if I just leave the qmodem window alive and try to open the
>kermit window, Win3 complains about a conflict on the comm port.
>It asks me which app should get it but no matter which app I
>select, the machine hangs.

>Any suggestions?

Have you tried to set COM1AutoAssign to zero? The description in
SYSINI2.TXT says that the value 0 allows more than one application to use
the port concurrently.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/11/90)

In article <marshall.652731316@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov
(Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
|I've noticed that when I shut down Crosstalk for Windows, it tells me that I
|am still connected to a computer and asks if I want to hang-up or not or
|cancel and stay in XTALK.  I assume that qmodem does not give you this
|option.

qmodem has the same options. It's Win3 that's nuking my connection.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep7.013045.13691@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I have two DOS apps, qmodem and kermit (the non-window one) that I
>like to use together. I get qmodem to dial the phone for me and
>
>Any suggestions?

	Very simple, get the shareware version of Procomm.  It works in
Windows and has kermit built in (as well as other ftp's).  It also
supports script files so that the dial in process can be made easier.

-bryon lape-

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep11.152722.3565@cs.utk.edu>
wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:
|	Very simple, get the shareware version of Procomm.  It works in
|Windows and has kermit built in (as well as other ftp's).  It also
|supports script files so that the dial in process can be made easier.

I tried writing script files with the commercial version of procomm.
It sucks the big one. What a waste of money. Procomm scripts stink.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (09/15/90)

>	Very simple, get the shareware version of Procomm.  It works in

>I tried writing script files with the commercial version of procomm.
>It sucks the big one. What a waste of money. Procomm scripts stink.

Now, now.  Byron has suggested the _shareware_ ProComm, and Phil is
complaining about the _commercial_ version.  These are two very different
products, with one of the main differences being a much more [complex]
[robust] script language in the commercial version.  I tried the "test
drive" commercial product, and went directly back to the shareware.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/17/90)

In article <3308@gmdzi.UUCP> strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
|Have you tried to set COM1AutoAssign to zero? The description in
|SYSINI2.TXT says that the value 0 allows more than one application to use
|the port concurrently.

I finally tried this. When I leave qmodem to go to kermit, the phone
line gets hung up even though I used the option that's supposed to
leave DTR asserted (and works under DOS).

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Why would Xerox Corp. want a paperless office?"