[comp.windows.ms] Framemaker cpmpatible on WIN 3.0?

frankhua@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Frank Xiaojun HUANG) (09/13/90)

Does anybody know there is any software that can do the sort of jobs like
FrameMaker on UNIX? I need a software on PC to do something like drawing
the flowchart(or diagram) of the program. can it be run from inside Window?

Thanks.

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (09/13/90)

In article <3950@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca>, frankhua@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
(Frank Xiaojun HUANG) writes:

> Does anybody know there is any software that can do the sort of jobs like
> FrameMaker on UNIX? I need a software on PC to do something like drawing
> the flowchart(or diagram) of the program. can it be run from inside Window?

I recently sold my Sun workstation which was running Frame and bought
a 80386 with Windows. Now I would never dream of comparing the two
environments (The Sun is beyond comparison) but I have found an
acceptable environment to replace Framemaker. I use the following
packages:

1) Pagemaker 3.01 - This I use for page layout. It's comparable to Frame
but does not rotate text and does not have Frame's word processing
capibility.

2) Word for windows - Here's where I get spell-checking, indexing, table
of contents, footnotes, etc.

3) Corel Draw. This package does all kinds of Text manipulation, including
kerning, rotation, skewing, mirroring, stretching, special effects, etc.
It also is a damn good graphics art tool. Frame cannot do these types
of things.

4) Logitech Scanman Plus - I use this to scan images in. (Try finding
a $175.00 scanner for the Sparcstation !)

All these packages can import and export files from one another.

Now I admit, Windows is a far far cry from SunOS (Unix), but a scanner
alone for the Sun costs more than my 80386 !

-jaz

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/18/90)

> 4) Logitech Scanman Plus - I use this to scan images in. (Try finding
> a $175.00 scanner for the Sparcstation !)

Can you get any respectable image scan from the Scanman Plus ? I
believe this is a hand scanner, right ? I tried one Taiwanese hand
scanner before and the image looks like dog sh*t. When you set it to
scan 400 dpi, it actually produce 75 dpi image at (400/75) times the
size.

I've since been convinced that the only useful scanner is flat bed
scanner. Anyone to dispute that ? I wish I'm wrong. Flat bed scanner
costs so much more !

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>