[comp.windows.ms] Upgraded to enhanced keyboard and windows bombs out

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Dr. Chaim Dworkin) (09/15/90)

     A long time ago I purchased one of the early 286 AT clones.  In the
intervening time I installed a high density 3.5" drive and at that time
I had to upgrade the BIOS.  When I bought the BIOS (Phoenix ver 3.07)
the manufacturer told me that the new BIOS supports the enhanced keyboard
if I ever wanted to get one.

     Now my old keyboard died and I went out and purchased a new one.  The
new one is an enhanced keyboard (has 12 function keys and separate inverted
T cursor keys).  The new keyboard seems to work fine in everything I do
except when I run MS Windows 3.0 where I get lots of keyboard errors.  For
example in Ami Pro, my wordprocessor, the inverted T cursor keys give me
numbers on the screen instead of moving the cursor and the extra keys
labeled HOME, END, PgUp, PgDn, Ins, Del don't work.  However all those keys
work just fine when I used the keypad.  Also sometimes no matter what I do
all I get are shifted keys.  These problems didn't exist with the old keyboard.

     I tried a diagnostic program which shows the keyboard working just fine.
I can't tell if the keyboard is the problem or Windows.  I also wonder if
changing the BIOS isn't sufficient to upgrade the old AT keyboard to an
enhanced keyboard.  What about the keyboard decoder chip?  Would that need
to be upgraded also?  If so, can anyone suggest where I can buy a new
keyboard decoder chip?  Luckily mine is socketed.  Would it help if I
reinstalled Windows?  Does Windows have a line in one of its .ini files
specifying type of keyboard?

Thanks for your help.

--
Chaim Dworkin                             (chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (09/15/90)

In a recent article chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Dr. Chaim  Dworkin) writes:

>                          When I bought the BIOS (Phoenix ver 3.07)
>the manufacturer told me that the new BIOS supports the enhanced keyboard
>if I ever wanted to get one.
>                                                                     For
>example in Ami Pro, my wordprocessor, the inverted T cursor keys give me
>numbers on the screen instead of moving the cursor and the extra keys
>labeled HOME, END, PgUp, PgDn, Ins, Del don't work.  However all those keys
>work just fine when I used the keypad.  Also sometimes no matter what I do
>all I get are shifted keys.  These problems didn't exist with the old keyboard.

I have the same problem with a true-blue IBM AT; the problem is that its BIOS
never heard of the 101-key keyboard and hasn't the faintest idea what to do
with the scancode sequences it is receiving.  Common symptoms are the inverted-
T cursor keys generating the digits from the corresponding keys on the numeric
keypad.  Also, the right-side ALT and CTRL keys are locking: hit the right
CTRL key and some alpha characters produces the control-char string as output;
hit and release the *left* CTRL key and you're back to normal.  Other
interesting problems can and do appear.

I fixed "most" of the problems by putting a call to the 'fixshift' program
in AUTOEXEC.BAT.  (The program came with Microsoft C 5.1 and if I recall
was required for certain clones.)  There are still problems, but I've found
that if I have a keyboard-sensitive program which works on my mongrel AT
then users aren't likely to have problems on a properly configured machine.

The old keyboards always sent one scan code when any key was pressed (maybe
repeating it if the key is held down), and sent the same scan code plus
hex 80 when the key was released.  For a variety of reasons (primarily to
preserve upward compatibility for programs which look at scan codes) the
101-key keyboards send the scan codes of the keys which *would have been
pressed* on the old keyboard to provide the same function.  For example,
if you're not in NumLock mode and hit the new uparrow key the keyboard
sends scan codes for left shift down (to invert the NumLock logic), keypad
8 (shared with uparrow) down, keypad 8 up, and left shift up.  The fun
comes because the keyboard also sends a scan code of hex e0 to identify the
true key which you pressed.  Many of the old BIOS routines don't do bounds
checks in their scan code lookup routines and get very confused.

Anyway, it sounds like your BIOS is unable to handle the new keyboard.  Go
back to the vendor and conduct some primal scream therapy at whoever sold
you the upgrade.

Good luck...

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (09/17/90)

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Dr. Chaim  Dworkin) writes:

>     Now my old keyboard died and I went out and purchased a new one.  The
>new one is an enhanced keyboard (has 12 function keys and separate inverted
>T cursor keys).  The new keyboard seems to work fine in everything I do
>except when I run MS Windows 3.0 where I get lots of keyboard errors.  For
>example in Ami Pro, my wordprocessor, the inverted T cursor keys give me
>numbers on the screen instead of moving the cursor and the extra keys
>labeled HOME, END, PgUp, PgDn, Ins, Del don't work.  However all those keys
>work just fine when I used the keypad.  Also sometimes no matter what I do
>all I get are shifted keys.  These problems didn't exist with the old keyboard.

>                                                   Would it help if I
>reinstalled Windows?  Does Windows have a line in one of its .ini files
>specifying type of keyboard?

You must run Windows Setup from the Main Group and tell it that you are
now using an enhanced keyboard.  Not doing so causes the symptoms you
describe.

>Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

hcliff@wybbs.mi.org (Cliff Helsel) (09/19/90)

Something else that might be interferring with Windows operation is the version
of the ROM system and keyboard BIOS.  I had problems with Windows and my
diskdrives because I had an outdated Award BIOS (a couple version numbers
mean a lot).

Cliff Helsel
hcliff@wybbs.mi.org
hcliff@wybbs.UUCP