[comp.windows.ms] Deskjet+ and windows/winword: problems

akc01@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Dr. Budi Tunggal) (09/13/90)

Hello!
I have a lot of problems using my deskjet+ under windows3.0, particularly
using winword.
1. Why has every printer driver (even for 9pins) have lots of fonts
   to choose from and the deskjet driver can use only the deskjet-courier
   and the windows-fonts modern, roman and script?
2. Winword (and other windows programs too) don't print special characters
   (e.g. like the german "umlaute" ) when the deskjet-courier fonts are
   used. The characters are transmitted correctly when printing from DOS
   and when one of the windows screen fonts is used.
3. How can i print greek characters like alpha under winword with the
   DESKJET? The alpha is not part of the ansi-set and if i enter the
   IBM-extended code, unly a underscore is printed on screen and on
   the printer.
4. Why does my printer eject an empty page after each printed one?
   The deskjet does that only from winword.

If anyone can help me with one of these questions....

Thanks a lot,
              Kay Hofmann
               akc01@aix370.rrz.uni-koeln.de

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (09/14/90)

akc01@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Dr. Budi Tunggal) writes:

>Hello!
>I have a lot of problems using my deskjet+ under windows3.0, particularly
>using winword.
>1. Why has every printer driver (even for 9pins) have lots of fonts
>   to choose from and the deskjet driver can use only the deskjet-courier
>   and the windows-fonts modern, roman and script?

Because the DeskJet+ comes with a builtin courier font, only. You have
to buy additional font cartridges (or a RAM cartridge and softfonts) in
order to get a 300 dpi Times Roman, for example. I'm using a DeskJet+
and Win3 both in my office and at home, with two ROM cartridges:
22706T (Helv Collection) and 22706R (TmsRmn Collection).
Both support sizes from 4pt up to 14pt in different styles: bold, italics.

If I hadn't bought these cardridges yet, I would wait for the announced
new DeskJet (500?), which has scaleable outline fonts (if memory serves
me right). One has to compare the price of the upgrade with the price
of the cartridges.

>2. Winword (and other windows programs too) don't print special characters
>   (e.g. like the german "umlaute" ) when the deskjet-courier fonts are
>   used. The characters are transmitted correctly when printing from DOS
>   and when one of the windows screen fonts is used.

This is an error in the DeskJet printer driver which comes with Windows 3.
According to the Microsoft hotline here in Germany, they distribute
a corrected version - send a postcard to Microsoft Germany, technical
service. They will send the corrected driver to you, free of charge.
I ordered mine a a week ago, but haven't got anything, yet.

>3. How can i print greek characters like alpha under winword with the
>   DESKJET? The alpha is not part of the ansi-set and if i enter the
>   IBM-extended code, unly a underscore is printed on screen and on
>   the printer.

I would be interested in this (and answers to similar questions), too.
What is the best way to add a few exotic characters to all this WYSIWYG
stuff? This seems to be a feature to be added to WinWord version 1.2 ;-)

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (09/17/90)

In article <3344@gmdzi.gmd.de> strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) writes:
>22706T (Helv Collection) and 22706R (TmsRmn Collection).
>Both support sizes from 4pt up to 14pt in different styles: bold, italics.
>
>This is an error in the DeskJet printer driver which comes with Windows 3.
>According to the Microsoft hotline here in Germany, they distribute
>a corrected version - send a postcard to Microsoft Germany, technical
>service. They will send the corrected driver to you, free of charge.
>I ordered mine a a week ago, but haven't got anything, yet.

We have trouble with our deskjet and windows 3.0 with the TmsRmn USASCII
cartridge - it will only print in BOLD from AmiPro 1.1,1.1b and 1.2.

Where does one  get a revised Deskjet driver in the states.

tim

brandyt@microsoft.UUCP (Brandy THORP) (09/19/90)

I got these answers from a variety of sources at Product Support
(PSS).  One of the tech's said that she would need to really
be able to ask you some questions.  All of the tech's said
the Laserjet's printer driver was *really* basic, and there
is not a lot Microsoft can do about that.  The number to
reach WinWord PSS is (206) 454-2030.

| I have a lot of problems using my deskjet+ under windows3.0, particularly
| using winword.

| 1. Why has every printer driver (even for 9pins) have lots of fonts
|    to choose from and the deskjet driver can use only the deskjet-courier
|    and the windows-fonts modern, roman and script?

I checked on my Deskjet driver and show the following fonts:  Courier,
Lineprinter, Modern, Roman, Script, and Times Roman.  He does not show
Lineprinter or Times Roman.  Have him check in the Printers in the
Control Panel (found in the Main group).  This will show the driver he
is using for his printer.  Click on Configure then Setup and verify
the HP Deskjet PLUS driver is in use, and is the default printer.
At this point also verify the resolution is 300 dpi.

It is by design of the driver that determines the fonts available for
use by the user.  To increase the number of fonts, he could purchace
third party fonts, or a cartridge for the printer.

| 2. Winword (and other windows programs too) don't print special characters
|    (e.g. like the german "umlaute" ) when the deskjet-courier fonts are
|    used. The characters are transmitted correctly when printing from DOS
|    and when one of the windows screen fonts is used.

The HP Deskjet and Deskjet Plus driver is incapable of printing out any
extended characters above 127 in the resident Courier font.
This applies to both the ANSI and ASCII character set.

The customer should be able to acheive the the upper character set when
using Modern, Roman, Roman 10 CPI, or Script.

| 3. How can i print greek characters like alpha under winword with the
|    DESKJET? The alpha is not part of the ansi-set and if i enter the
|    IBM-extended code, unly a underscore is printed on screen and on
|    the printer.

A way to attain the greek alphabet is to load the symbol soft fonts that come
 with Word for Windows. If the customer has problems installing these, tell
him to call the Word For Windows Support line.

(I recently posted a detailed description of how to do this -bnt)

| 4. Why does my printer eject an empty page after each printed one?
|    The deskjet does that only from winword.

This is a hard one to call, the only times I have run into this type of
problem is when there was something sitting on the page the told Word there
 were two pages, such a page break, section break, or something in the footer
 window.  This would be a good one for our support line, is the customer
using soft fonts in this particular case???

----