[comp.windows.ms] MS-Kermit for MS-Windows 3.0, and TERMINAL...

Barry Bailey (09/13/90)

   Currently I am using MS-Kermit v2.x as a DOS window in WIN 3.0. I
   access this group through our campus (PBX) datalines, connected
   through several computers to our mainframe. Kermit has always handled
   the datalines (DTR, HANGUP) flawlessly. However, I can't seem to get
   TERMINAL to work at all. It seems that the program doesn't have the
   capability to raise and lower DTR. I never see prompts from our PBX,
   as I do with Kermit. Anyone have experience using TERMINAL over a
   campus/corporate PBX? (We also have Kermit on our mainframe, for
   Kermit-protocol file transfers).

   Recently someone indicated that there was a version of Kermit for
   Windows, distributed from Columbia. I sifted through a dozen or so
   files (TAPE A) only to realize that the Kermit for Windows was
   developed with Heath/Zenith H19 in mind (whatever that is). It
   supports H19 and ANSI terminal types, primarily, and KERMIT transfer
   protocol, secondarily. The documentation mentioned problems with WIN
   2.X COMM driver, whereby you must replace the driver on the
   distribution disk and REINSTALL Windows 2.X. There are problems with
   XON/XOFF protocols as well...

   Our system requires VT100 terminal emulation. It also (as above)
   needs to raise and lower DTR. We use XON/XOFF, and I am not phyched
   about reinstalling Windows with a foriegn COMM driver.

   Has anyone installed this version of Kermit on their WIN 3.0 system?
   Is it worth it? Is there a WIN 3.0 version of Kermit in the works
   (fully comptible with MS-Kermit, ver. 2.x, not necessarily 3.x)?

   thanks in advance

gilmore@brahms.udel.edu (Scott Gilmore) (09/14/90)

In article <9848.4979.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Barry Bailey writes:
>   Recently someone indicated that there was a version of Kermit for
>   Windows, distributed from Columbia.  ... It supports H19 and ANSI terminal
>   types ... Our system requires VT100 terminal emulation. ...
>   Is there a WIN 3.0 version of Kermit in the works...

There is a program called wn100k which is available on at least one of the Win3
archive sites (e.g., cica.cica.indiana.edu, terminator.cc.umich.edu,
serv1.cl.msu.edu).  It is a vt100 kermit program for Win3, and was written by
the same author (William Hall, who writes the Windows column for PC Magazine)
as the previous Z/H19 version for Win2.  I tried it out, but still prefer
WinQVT because it has better screen fonts, more terminal emulations, and
more transfer protocols (e.g., Zmodem).  Unlike previous versions of QVT,
I have not had any problems with the kermit protocol in the latest
version (4.36, you can get it too from one of the ftp sites), although I
usually use Zmodem for my transfers.  I don't know if either of the above fix
the PBX problems the author originally mentioned.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (09/15/90)

In article <13703@brahms.udel.edu> gilmore@brahms.udel.edu (Scott Gilmore) writes:
|There is a program called wn100k

Can you say "Woof"?

This is probably the slowest comm program I have ever tested. Using
it is like going back to 300 baud. And I have a 20 Mhz 386DX system.

It also doesn't work nearly as nicely as MSkermit for file transfer.

So far, "terminal" doesn't seem too bad...

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Why would Xerox Corp. want a paperless office?"

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (09/16/90)

From article <9848.4979.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu>, by Barry Bailey:

>    Recently someone indicated that there was a version of Kermit for
>    Windows, distributed from Columbia. I sifted through a dozen or so
>    files (TAPE A) only to realize that the Kermit for Windows was
>    developed with Heath/Zenith H19 in mind (whatever that is). It
>    supports H19 and ANSI terminal types, primarily, and KERMIT transfer
>    protocol, secondarily. The documentation mentioned problems with WIN
>    2.X COMM driver, whereby you must replace the driver on the
>    distribution disk and REINSTALL Windows 2.X. There are problems with
>    XON/XOFF protocols as well...
>
>    Our system requires VT100 terminal emulation. It also (as above)
>    needs to raise and lower DTR. We use XON/XOFF, and I am not phyched
>    about reinstalling Windows with a foriegn COMM driver.

The official version is a Heath emulator, HOWEVER, there is a beta version
(.EXE only, no docs or source yet) available.  The message below, which
was obtained from the Kermit Digest in COMP.PROTOCOLS.KERMIT (I think)
explains more.

- Kevin Lowey

> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 12:30 EDT
> From: Christine M Gianone <cmg@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
> Subject: New Microsoft Windows Kermit Available for Testing

From Bill Hall, a new version of Kermit for Microsoft Windows that includes
VT52/100/102/132 terminal emulation (the previous version only emulated the
Heath/Zenith-19 terminal) and an improved user interface.  Bill says it should
work under Windows 3.0.  No sources or documentation yet -- the new user
interface should make it self explanatory.  Report problems, reactions, etc,
to Info-Kermit and we'll collect them and pass them on the Bill.  Reports from
Windows 3.0 users would be especially appreciated.

You can ftp the binary executable program from kermit/bin/wn100k.exe on
watsun, or the printable "boo" file from kermit/test/wn100k.boo on watsun, or
you can request the boo file as T:WN100K.BOO from KERMSRV at CUVMA on
BITNET/EARN.  The boo file is decoded into a an .EXE file using any of the
MSBPCT programs in the Kermit Distribution "A" area.

Thanks to Bill for his continued improvements to this program.

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (09/19/90)

Kevin Lowey <lowey@herald.usask.ca> writes:
> The official [kermit] is a Heath emulator, HOWEVER, there is a beta version
> (.EXE only, no docs or source yet) available.  The message below, which
> was obtained from the Kermit Digest in COMP.PROTOCOLS.KERMIT (I think)
> explains more. [...]

Yes!  YES!  YES!!!  I've tried WinQVT, Unicom and Terminal, and found them all
lacking.  I'm typing this using winkermit, and it's working nicely.  If there
will be source available, I will be *REALLY* happy (I'll vbe able to add the
minor features that *I* find handy...)

>"[...]  Report problems, reactions, etc,
> to Info-Kermit and we'll collect them and pass them on the Bill.  Reports from
> Windows 3.0 users would be especially appreciated. "

Well, here is a report -- where is info-kermit, where I'm supposed to send it?
It's quite nice for a beta version, no problems running with Windows 3.0.  I've
noticed that underlining and boldface a *really* slow, though...

I think I'm sold!  :)

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]